RE: fall warbler ID

  • jamesrswanson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2013

      Hi John,

      I worked out the ID with my Sibley before checking what others had sent in.  I also came to the conclusion that it is an immature Cape May:  non-descript gray bird with streaky underparts, white corners to tail, greenish rump, dark pointy bill, pale-edged greater coverts.

      Great find!

      James Swanson

      Miles City

      --- In mob-montana@yahoogroups.com, <bobcyn@...> wrote:

      Hi Y'all,

      I also guess first year Cape May female.  ID points considered were:  streaking on breast and flanks, yellow patch behind auricular, yellow edging to primaries, decurved bill, yellow rump, one wing bar (size seemed more consistent with female) and tail spot.  I could not have made this ID in the field! John, thanks for the challenging quiz.

      Cynthia Hudson

      Alberton

    • John Carlson
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2013
        Jan, and James nailed it. Cape May warbler. They also did a nice job of describing the pertinent field marks.

        John Carlson
        Billings, MT
        jccarlson@...
        www.prairieice.blogspot.com