A grouse day - QLL 39D, southern Park Co

  • Mike Lesnik
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2013
      MOB,

      Twenty one miles from US 89 to the end of Mill Creek Road (Gallatin National Forest #486)with 14.5 of those good gravel. Movement in the left road edge grass just as the trailhead for Lambert Creek and Crown Butte came into sight turned out to be an adult Ruffed Grouse and at least two, maybe three, juveniles. A pair of American Three-toed Woodpeckers were found about a half mile up TR 280 (Cooley Lake - Lambert CK TR).

      Several groups of Mountain Bluebirds, American Robins and juncos were seen along the switch-back road back to the Mill Creek bridge (Mile Post 17). Had just got up to speed about a half mile down the road with my mind on getting home in time for the Mariners baseball game (they just beat Texas) when the ditches and air became full of birds - at least 13 Dusky Grouse with three or more adult females.

      Had several minutes to try to get an accurate count in this rather flat, grassy area where I think they were eating grasshoppers. I had grazed on several handful's of Wild Raspberries and about six tiny Huckleberries.

      Both grouse made my year list.

      Mike Lesnik
      Livingston