Re: [MOB-Montana] Piegan Pass Trail 7-23-13 - 19 Ptarmigan

  • maholmgren
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2013
      David!
      We missed your Bird walk Monday by 20 minutes.  But we walked the trail to Cracker Lake and saw a family of Boreal Chickadee. I'll send you coordinates for the chickadees and Spruce Grouse we saw on Grinnell Glacier Trail.
      Sounds like a very good walk we wish we had taken with you yesterday. We've yet to connect with any Crossbill, Clark's Nutcracker, and we'd always love a better look at Spruce Grouse.
      Best,

      Mark Holmgren and Melissa Kelly
      (We met at Logan Pass Saturday)
      Santa Barbara

      On Jul 24, 2013, at 1:59 PM, "David" <dbenson@...> wrote:

      Wife Kara and I took the Piegan Pass Trail from Siyeh Bend to Many Glacier Hotel yesterday. The highlights were:

      White-winged Crossbill and two Clark's Nutcrackers at the edge of the forest before the long open climb to the pass.

      19 total ptarmigan at Piegan Pass including 12 young of the year ~3 weeks old (all banded - if anyone sees banded ptarmigan in GNP, please let me know who, when and where.)

      Male Spruce Grouse on the lower horse trail near the Many Glacier hotel.

      The ebird report is below.

      David Benson
      www.GNPBirds.net

      Location
      Glacier NP--Piegan Pass Trail, Glacier County, Montana, US
      Date and Effort
      Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:00 AM

      Protocol:Traveling
      Party Size:2
      Duration:12 hour(s)
      Distance:13.0 mile(s)
      Observers: David Benson
      Comments:GNPBirds.net
      Species
      27 species total

      1
      Spruce Grouse
      Age & Sex
      Juvenile Immature Adult Age Unknown
      Male 1
      Female
      Sex Unknown
      19
      White-tailed Ptarmigan
      All adults banded. I do research on Ptarmigan in the park and was up there specifically to find and band ptarmigan.
      Age & Sex
      Juvenile Immature Adult Age Unknown
      Male 1
      Female 1 5