Blue-gray Gnatcatcher near Clarkston

  • pajaros0422
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2013

      On July 5, two researchers working for the Avian Science Center reported on eBird a BGGN near the Fairweather FAS.  With encouragement from Jeff Marks to pursue this sighting, I secured permission from the property owner where the bird(s) were found and yesterday, July 10, John Parker and I set out to try and relocate the birds.  After a relatively short hike up a heavily wooded juniper wash we did indeed relocate one of the birds and even managed a few fuzzy images.  This represents one of the rare times these birds have been seen outside of Carbon County during breeding season.  Hopefully next spring we can again secure permission and possibly document actual nesting in a new location.  But one can only wonder just how many other juniper washes might also hold Blue-gray Gnatcatchers!

      In addition to the gnatcatcher, we also enjoyed the company of many chattering Rock Wrens and a family of Long-eared Owls.

      Cheers and good eBirding

      Robin Wolcott

      Bozeman

    • Michael Schwitters