Akokala Lake, etc.

  • paul rossi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2013
      A good friend hiked to Akokala Lake (near Bowman Lake in Glacier National Park) with me yesterday.  We heard a Tennessee Warbler singing a few miles west of Bowman Lake, and another just west of Akokala.  Along the way, we heard Boreal Chickadee; MacGillivray's, Wilson's, and Orange-crowned Warblers; Northern Waterthrush; Western Tanagers; Swainson's Thrushes; and Pacific Wren.  My hiking partner found both Black-backed Woodpecker and Red-naped Sapsucker on the trail.  We also saw a black bear along the way.  At the lake, we watched a female Barrow's Goldeneye swim around.

      Today, I had two more Black Swifts fly over the Columbia Falls Junior High at about 11:20 am.  They surprised me, since I'm used to seeing them only when it's overcast.  Good birding to all!

      Paul Rossi
      Columbia Falls