West Bank Babes

  • Beth Hill
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2013
      Everyone expects to see young geese and mallard ducklings on the river off West Bank Park (or from River Rd on the east side), but this year I have also observed young killdeer, young spotted sandpiper, a young California gull (born on the big sand bar, I watched the mom sitting in the same position for what seemed like weeks)(I first observed her feeding it near that same spot).  And tonight I saw 2 newly hatched common terns.  Both parents were walking around the two as they were walking around the parents.  They sure didn't look like a tern, but they were still "egg shaped" - downy, grey-brown on the back and white/light underneath.  With all the avocets hanging around I expect to see some young avocets this year - if the big sand bars weren't so overgrown with willows and other green growth.  The area is changing as the big sand bars are no longer bare.
      I wish I could keep track of the little terns - but I'll be away the next 10 days - rats.  It won't be easy for them among all the California gulls.
      Beth Hill
      Great Falls
    • Mike Lesnik
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2013
        Beth,

        Thanks for raising my awareness level. I made a second pass along Fish Creek at the Big Pine Primitive State Park (QLL 25A)where an adult Spotted Sandpiper had acted very nervous earlier this morning.
        Spotted a single, wingless fuzzball trying to hide behind three blades of grass. Cute, cute, cute!

        Mike Lesnik
        Western Montana
        QLL 48 B tonight