I/D help needed

  • capebird1978
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2013
      I've just posted a photo to the Identification Help needed folder. While having a picnic near the Continental Divide we watched a pair of a small (almost wren sized) olive and gray birds catching bugs and feeding young in a saddle-like hanging nest about 12 feet up in a lodgepole pine. The closest comparison we could make on the Audubon web site was a type of flycatcher, but are not familiar with those species. Will welcome suggestions on what species entertained us earlier today.

      Dan Ellison, Helena
    • paul rossi
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2013
        Hi Dan,

        You saw a pair of Ruby-crowned Kinglets.  They're very small and active--a little smaller than a chickadee.  They're brownish-olive overall with a broken white eye-ring, two white wingbars with a dark area below the second, and a short tail.  Hope that helps.

        Paul Rossi
        Columbia Falls

        To: MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com
        From: d.ellison@...
        Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 22:38:59 +0000
        Subject: [MOB-Montana] I/D help needed

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2013
          Driving back to Helena today over Stemple Pass we saw a bird that we couldn't positively identify feeding along the side the road. I took a couple photos and posted one to the I/D help needed folder. Would appreciate knowing what bird we encountered.

          Dan Ellison, Helena