Possible Blue Grosbeak, Miles City

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2013
      MOB-sters:

      Susannah and I drove from Somers to Miles City today. It was a beautiful drive along the Musselshell, and we especially enjoyed the many Lark Buntings between Melstone and Ingomar.  This evening we hiked for a little while along the Tongue River, downstream from the City Park (ballfield) almost to the Yellowstone confluence. Near the old railroad trestle there, I heard a bird sing several times that sounded like a Blue Grosbeak. Unfortunately, I could not get a look, and it did not respond to the I-Pod.  The only odd thing is that it was in the cottonwood canopy, not the shrub layer.  Also present were Black-headed Grosbeak, Chat, Catbird and more.

      We will be moving on to the Dakotas tomorrow, and I may not get to check again, but if I do, I will repost later in the day.  Perhaps we will find one further east...

      Dan