Gyp Springs Road Mountain Plover questions

  • Mike Lesnik
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2013
      MOB,

      35 hours on the southwest flank of the Pryor Mountains, southeast Carbon County, QLL 41C and 41D, produced about that many species (needed another half day on both ends to cover Cottonwood and Railbed Grade Roads).

      Best bird was a very visible and not shy Green-tailed Towhee a couple of hundred yards past the barrier on the washed out road. It was perched for several minutes near the top of a Juniper bush and then went to foraging there before flying down to scratch around in the duff below another Juniper.

      At 0650 this morning, 20 minutes into my fourth visit (total binocular time about two hours), a single Mountain Plover was spied 75 meters east of last years location. Given how easy it is to see and identify this bird when it is moving around my question is where was it for the other 119 minutes? Did it just fly in from somewhere? Without asking anyone to reveal exact positions, I'm wondering how many locations and how many individuals might be found in this general area? I did give quick looks to several other places (1000+ acres) with similar habitat.

      Mike Lesnik
      Livingston