Re: [MOB-Montana] member?

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 17, 2013
      Lynn, Jeff, and Mobsters

      On occasion Yahoo groups just wants to check whether an account is still active or if it may have been compromised.

      When you go into MOB, if the lines “New Messages” and “New Photos” are in colored black rather than magenta, there will be a Join Group box to the upper right. If you click on this it will go to a new page. You usually only have to enter your password (but occasionally it will ask for your user ID also), hit enter and it will go to another page where you will see a box on the left side saying you are a member. Click on that and you’re back at home page.

      One other thing Lynn – you just sent your ID and password out to the entire MOB membership. You may want to change them.

      Chuck Carlson

      Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 11:48 AM
      Subject: Re: [MOB-Montana] member?

      Hi Lynn,

      Indeed, you are a member.  For reasons unknown to me, peculiar to Yahoo listservs I think, you have to log out and sign back in from time to time.  Happens to me about once a month.  At the mob home page, click on your name in the far upper left, toggle down to sign out, then sign back in with your user name and password.  May the force be with you...

      Jeff

      *******************
      Jeff Marks
      4241 SE Liebe Street
      Portland, OR 97206
      503-774-4783
      Birds of Montana Project
      http://mtaudubon.org/
      *******************
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 17, 2013
        Dear MOB -
        I've been receiving lots of spam lately via MOB.  Any idea what's going on? Is everyone else receiving an unusual amount of spam?
        Vince Slabe
        Bozeman

        Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 17, 2013
              All:

              I have been deleting them from the MOB home page, but of course they show up there at the same time that members receive them. One way to avoid getting them is to change your options to "web only" and just go onto the MOB site to see the messages, rather than getting them sent to your email account. I have been doing it this way for some years now,  and it works well.

              Keep in mind that it is not Yahoo which is sending you the spam, it is the computer of the sender.

              Dan
            • Stevan Hawkins
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 19, 2013

                Vince:

                It is happening on other Yahoo-groups, too.  I just got through deleting two spams from North Dakota-Birds and South Dakota-Birds from the same person.  Both of those groups are Yahoo-groups;  both came from a person with a Yahoo e-mail address.  A few days ago a spam such as the below showed that was transmitted via the San Antonio-Birds Yahoo-group.  I supposedly came from a person with a Yahoo e-mail address.  Being as I have known her for about 15-20 years, I doubted that she would send out such a thing.  When I let her know about my finding spam supposedly coming from her in my webmail's Junk box, she apologized immediately.  Just as I doubt that my friend sent out the spam supposedly from her, I doubt that these other spams on MOB and other birding discussion groups are actually coming from the supposed senders.

                Onward!

                Steve

                Stevan Hawkins

                San Antonio TX