Lewis's Woodpecker nesting

  • Roger Hogen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2013
      MOBers,
      Several weeks ago I watched a male Lewis's Woodpecker displaying spread-winged for its mate on one of our cottonwoods.  On subsequent occasions, they appeared seemingly out of nowhere, above us where we sat at the picnic table, which is below the same tree.

      I began scanning the tree for nest holes but without finding anything definitive.
      On a later occasion I took some photos of two likely holes, one about 2 feet above the other.  When I enlarged them, one photo showed a dark but unmistakable image of a Lewis's head looking out at me (photo in album).  These holes are just below the display area.

      I have since seen them occupying both holes.
      Well today, there is no doubt that they are raising young.  They are busy bringing mouthfuls of insects to the lower nest hole.
      I think one parent sleeps in the adjacent hole while the other stays with the eggs/nestlings.
      Roger and Kathy
      The Big Flat
      Missoula