West Bank Park - Most Interesting

  • Beth Hill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2013
      It seemed like 5 minutes, but according to the time stamps on my images it was 30 minutes.  I hadn't gotten very far on my early morning walk along West Bank Park (5:40 start time) when a Great Blue Heron flew in.  Fine - mark one GBHE.  It was pretty close but in the shade, what the heck I'll take a few pictures.  It was stalking upstream, a mallard disturbed it and it flew upstream and on the bank side.  I'll see how close I can get.  There is a solid wall of willow spikes between the river and me - but I see it (her?) And as soon as I do she comes up with a fish - not just a snack, but this is a dinner for 6.  It was dead right away as she dropped it quite a few times and picked it up again.  I know she was cautious and knew I was there.  But, she was not going to leave a meal that size.  Or maybe she just had to keep trying to get it oriented correctly.  Once she did - it slipped down in a blink of the eye.  I got a couple pictures in focus through the willows and you can see the bulge in her neck after the big swallow.  It looked like a bottom feeding fish (carp) - you can see the fish lips in one of the pictures I have. I have posted a couple of the pictures, 3 with the fish and 2 "post swallow".
      I thought it might be a "she" - there was a lot of feather loss/bare skin on the legs, chest, arm pit areas.  From brooding?
      The wood ducks (that I've been seeing all week) were ho-hum after watching this.
      Beth Hill
      Great Falls