Re: [MOB-Montana] Re: Harlequin Ducks

  • Kristin Olson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013
      Thanks Chris and Thomas!

      On 6/13/2013 8:48 AM, Chris J. Montano Jr. wrote:

      Found the two males on Tuesday, I'd attach some group pics for you, but my laptop isn't cooperating, have to wait til I return to California to process them.

      If anyone is in the Whitehall area, i found a spot yesterday for a great horned owl with two fledglings and they didn't seem to be bothered by me being there. Was about 30ft from them at eye level :)

      Chris J. Montano Jr.

      On Jun 13, 2013, at 8:46 AM, "Thomas" <thomas@...> wrote:

      Kristin,

      We found 1 male below the Avalanche picnic area June 1. Chris, when did you observe the 2 males?

      Thomas Kallmeyer, Missoula

      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Chris J. Montano Jr." <chris.montano81@...> wrote:

      > Not too familiar with glacier, but on the west entrance, I went all the way up as far as they would let me go, I parked in that little picnic area and walked down to the water and found two male Harlequin Ducks and One Female with a transmitter.
      >
      > They weren't too shy...
      >

      > Chris J. Montano Jr.
      > www.chrismontanojr.com
      >

      > On Jun 13, 2013, at 8:27 AM, "Kristin Olson" <kbcols@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Good Morning MOB,
      > >
      > > Does anyone know if the male Harlequin Ducks can still be found on Upper McDonald Creek in Glacier National Park? Thanks!
      > >
      > > Kristin Olson
      > > Somers, MT

    • Kristin Olson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013
        Thanks, Jim.  Sounds like it still might be worth the effort.  I usually get up there earlier than this.
        Kristin Olson
        Somers, MT
        On 6/13/2013 9:20 AM, Jim Rogers wrote:

        Kristin,

        I observed several Harlequin males along McDonald on 5 June between Avalanche and Logan creeks.  I also know that a few more were seen along the lower stretch between the lake and Avalanche.

        However, some of the female Harlequin ducks are now incubating eggs, therefore males will soon- if not already- return to the coast.

        Best to look now, but with some effort, you can usually find a male through June.

        Good luck,

        Jim Rogers

        Polson, Montana