Re: [MOB-Montana] Strange Western Tanager

  • wilkifam
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2013
      Well said Grace. It is great isn't it. How do you feed jelly?

      > I have several of these very pale W. Tanager males in my yard also. One
      > has just a hint of orange, 2 have no orange. I also have many W. Tanagers
      > in my yard...they are eating me out of oranges, jelly, peanut butter and
      > suet! But it is so much fun to see them all and also the Bullock's
      > Orioles and Black-headed Grossbeaks. Spring is SO wonderful!
      > Grace
      > Ruby Valley
      >
      > On Jun 3, 2013, at 10:28 PM, "Jeff Marks" <jeff17_marks@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Lori,
      >>
      >> That is a very pale male W. Tanager. Almost looks like it never molted
      >> into alternate plumage.
      >>
      >> *******************
      >> Jeff Marks
      >> 4241 SE Liebe Street
      >> Portland, OR 97206
      >> 503-774-4783
      >> Birds of Montana Project
      >> http://mtaudubon.org/

    • Grace L. Blair
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2013
        Feeding jelly to birds: I have a very old fruit/jelly feeder that has a place for attaching fruit on each end and in middle is 2 plastic cups for jelly. There is a photo in my album "GLB" in the photos section and titled "Bullock's Oriole". I may have bought it from Duncraft. Similar would be easy to make.
        Grace
        Ruby Valley