Snowy Egret and Snow Geese at Freezeout

  • Leslie Kehoe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2013
      Hello MOB,
      We decided to wander to the east side do the divide for a few days, despite the rain we have a wonderful first day. A damp trip over Maria's Pass found us on the road to Browning and lots of waterfowl. One of the small pothole lakes had an abundance of Black Terns, 18 to 20 at least. The Bynum Reservoir had a Common Loon, Clark's and Western Grebes and an abundance of American Coots. We, also, found McCown's Longspurs in the surrounding fields. The wild flowers at Blackleaf WMA were exceptional, a Black-billed Magpie and a Marbled Godwit were having a disagreement which the godwit apparently won. A Willet foraged in the waters of a small pond.

      Birding along Belleview Road was WET and so were the birds. Very little activity but at Pine Butte Swamp we found an American Redstart, Clay-colored sparrows, a damp goldfinch and an American Bittern. Here and there along the road towards Choteau we found godwits, curlews, and a few McCown's Longspurs, the usual sparrows and remarkably few raptors.

      Traveling south to Freezout Lake a tour of Pond 5 found hundreds of Cliff Swallows skimming the waters, Western Grebes, dozens of comical Ruddy Ducks among others and unexpectedly two Snow Geese serenely plying the waters. Very late or very early, indeed. Pond 1 had one of the best birds of the day a Snowy Egret keeping an American White Pelican company. Two White-faced Ibis were visible and a pair of Sandhill Cranes along with large numbers of American Avocets. Freezout never ceases to amaze me, so much life in a small area!

      We ended the day in Great Falls with 83 species, not bad on a very damp...WET day. Saturday north towards the highline.

      Good Birding,
      Leslie Kehoe
      Bigfork
    • Michael Schwitters
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2013
        Leslie and MOB,
        The Snow Geese have been present at Freezout since the spring
        migration...likely ill or injured.
        Time to go look for a Snowy Egret.
        Mike Schwitters
        Choteau MT