Ferruginous Hawk, Gallatin County, Hwy 191, 21 Miles north of West Yellowstone.

  • Scott Heppel
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2013
      MOB,

      Early this afternoon while driving from Big Sky to Divide Lake, (mile marker 20) on Highway 191, a Ferruginous hawk was perched on the ground about 40 meters off the East side of the highway. When I turned around and stopped, it flew about 30 meters to another perch on a grassy mound. It then continued on to another perch in the top of a small pine where I was able to get a couple of photographs.

      On the drive we also saw 2 adults and one immature bald eagle near Snowflake Springs. The two adults were perched in a tree alongside the Gallatin River. While I was photographing them, an Osprey came into view and one of the Eagles immediately left its perch to drive away the Osprey.

      In the wetland area just South of Snowflake, a pair of Green-Winged Teal was exploring one of the beaver pools. Half a dozen Mallards were also present along with a pair of Ring-necked Ducks. Near mile marker 28, a Turkey Vulture was picking through the remains of an elk that had been mostly devoured by a Grizzly the previous evening (while we watched). At Divide Lake (mm 20) there were three Northern Shovelers and a pair of Canada Geese but no sign of the Sandhill Crane we had seen the previous evening.

      Scott Heppel
      Big Sky
      Gallatin County