Warm Springs WMA

  • Janice Miller
    Message 1 of 27 , May 13, 2013
      I was delighted to be part of the Last Chance Audubon field trip to Warm Springs WMA yesterday - Mother's Day. Although I've been a member for over 20 years, this was my first visit, and it was a great experience. Andrea Stierle was our very knowledgeable guide - Thank you, Andrea! Counting Andrea and myself, we had 6 people in our group.
      Besides this list of 65 bird species, we also saw a fox at close range.
      Janice Miller
      Helena
      1. Canada Goose
      2. Trumpeter Swan
      3. Wood Duck
      4. Gadwall
      5. American Wigeon
      6. Mallard
      7. Cinnamon Teal
      8. Northern Shoveler
      9. Northern Pintail
      10. Canvasback
      11. Redhead
      12. Ring-necked Duck
      13. Lesser Scaup
      14. Bufflehead
      15. Barrow’s Goldeneye
      16. Ruddy Duck
      17. Common Loon
      18. Red-necked Grebe
      19. Double-crested Cormorant
      20. Great Blue Heron
      21. White-faced Ibis
      22. Osprey
      23. Bald Eagle
      24. Northern Harrier
      25. Swainson’s Hawk
      26. Red-tailed Hawk
      27. American Kestrel
      28. Sora
      29. American Coot
      30. Sandhill Crane
      31. Killdeer
      32. American Avocet
      33. Willet
      34. Marbled Godwit
      35. Common Snipe
      36. Ring-billed Gull
      37. California Gull
      38. Rock Pigeon
      39. Eurasian Collared-Dove
      40. Great Horned Owl
      41. Belted Kingfisher
      42. Northern Flicker
      43. Black-billed Magpie
      44. American Crow
      45. Common Raven
      46. Tree Swallow
      47. Violet-green Swallow
      48. Barn Swallow
      49. Black-capped Chickadee
      50. Mountain Chickadee
      51. Marsh Wren
      52. Mountain Bluebird
      53. American Robin
      54. European Starling
      55. Clay-colored Sparrow
      56. Savannah Sparrow
      57. Song Sparrow
      58. Western Tanager
      59. Red-winged Blackbird
      60. Western Meadowlark
      61. Yellow-headed Blackbird
      62. Brewer’s Blackbird
      63. House Finch
      64. Pine Siskin
      65. House Sparrow
    • Gary Swant
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 22, 2013
        A little wet today, but no wind and warm.

        I observed 72 species and just short of 3,000 individual birds.

        The highlight today were 1 Great Egret in ARCO Pond 1. It was with the nesting Double-crested Cormorants and Great Blue Herons. This is the 3rd time I have seen one at Warm Springs.

        I also found the nest of the Black-crowned Night-Herons. There were two adults and a single juvenile at the nest. The nest is in ARCO East Pond. I think that this is the only breeding pair of Night-Herons west of the continental divide.

        The Bald Eagle nest that I thought was unsuccessful this year had a single juvenile sitting on the edge of the nest. I missed that offspring all spring!

        Gary Swant
        Deer Lodge
      • garyswant
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 21, 2014

          Spring staging is in full swing at WS WMA with 42 species and 12,200 individuals.  There were 20 species of waterfowl with the following highlights.

          220 Snow Goose, 4 Ross's Goose, 108 Tundra Swan, 3,000 American Wigeon, 2 - Eurasian Wigeon, 6,000 Northern Pintail, 2,600 Canvasback, 2,000 Common Goldeneye.  In addition I saw 1 Peregrine Falcon looking for a meal at ARCO Pond 3.

          Total species seen at WS WMA for 2014 now stands at 56.

          Gary Swant

          Deer Lodge

        • garyswant
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 20

            Nearly all of the ice is gone at WS WMA now.  I found 17 species of waterfowl today including about 450 Northern Pintail, 2,500 Mallards, and 1,200 Common Goldeneye.  There were a few Redhead, Canvasback, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Lesser Scaup and Barrow's Goldeneye.  I did find 2 Greater Scaup as well.  There were also about 50 Tundra and three Trumpeter Swans.

            A pair of Great Horned Owls are preparing a nest, but the Bald Eagles have not started to build a nest to replace the one that fell out of the tree last summer.  Adult Bald Eagles were in the area, so we shall see if they rebuild or move on.

            Gary Swant

            Deer Lodge

          • garyswant
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 12

              Warm Springs WMA Report – March 12, 2015

              This is the first count for the 2015 season.  There were 41 species found today, and the year to date total species is 47.  Total individuals counted were 14,600.  There were 17 species of waterfowl.

              Temperatures ranged from 41 to 52 F, partly cloudy, and calm winds.  Most of the ice is off the ponds with 20 to 30% remaining.  That will be gone by next week.

              Birds of interest were 2 Great Horned Owl on the nest, and one Bald Eagle pair on the nest.  The Bald Eagle nest was lost in a wind storm last year and was replaced by another nest this year about 300 yards east of the original nest in another Cottonwood tree.  This second nest is only about 200 yards off Eastside Road.

              I found 2 Eurasian Wigeon and 1,300 American Wigeon.  High count species today were 8,600 Northern Pintails, 1,300 Mallards, and 1,250 Common Goldeneye.

              My Snow Goose count was a little lower than Freezeout (30,000 yesterday) with only 2.  I also counted 385 Tundra Swan and 4 Trumpeter Swans.

              Very few American Coots as of yet, with only 46.  Gulls are still in small numbers as well with 6 Ring-billed and 18 California Gulls.

              ARCO Ponds

                              37 species, and 3,240 individuals.  This made up 22% of the total birds.

              Sewage Ponds

                              5 species, and 45 individuals.  This made up <1% of the total birds.

               Job Corps Ponds

                              11 species, and 5,390 individuals. This made up 37% of the total birds.

              Ducks Unlimited Ponds

                              10 species, and 5,881 individuals. This made up 40% of the total birds.

            • nskohler
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 12

                Hello All,

                Steve Wickliffe and I visited the Warm Springs WMA for a few hours this morning. It was cool and windy with a touch of snow from the previous night. We recorded 58 species in the area. A few birds of note:

                Common Loon – one adult on ARCO Pond 3

                Red-necked Grebe – a few pairs on the ARCO and Job Corps Ponds

                Black-crowned Night-Heron – two birds at the south end of ARCO Pond 3

                Osprey – one pair at the ARCO Ponds and another pair at the Racetrack Pond

                Greater Yellowlegs – four birds at the Job Corps Ponds

                Peregrine Falcon – one adult at the Ducks Unlimited Ponds

                Yellow-headed Blackbird – a handful of birds at the ARCO, Job Corps and Ducks Unlimited Ponds

                Nate Kohler

                Deer Lodge

                Photos:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/gyr/

              • garyswant
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 9

                  Warm Springs WMA Report – June 9, 2015

                  This is the fourteenth count for the 2015 season.  Temperatures ranged from 58 to 80 F with clear skies and calm winds.  The temperature rose quickly, and it effected the number of Passerines I saw.

                  There were 62 species found today and 82 last week.  The year to date total species is 142 with additions today of Bullock’s Oriole (on the nest), and Wilson’s Warbler.

                  Total individuals counted today were 2,500 compared to 3,100 last week.

                  Waterfowl species with more than 100 individual present were Canada Goose, Mallard, Canvasback, Redhead, and Eared Grebe.

                  American Coots dropped to 192 from 540 last week.

                  Other birds of note were 4 Northern Pintail.

                  I assume that many hens are on nest and not visible.  I am starting to see a few hens with chicks of several species.

                  Last week I mentioned that I saw two chicks on one of the Black-crowned Night-Heron nest.  On Sunday, with an Audubon Tour the nest was empty and the 5 Night-Herons were in flight around the ponds.  Today, there were no Night-Herons present.  There is a Bald Eagle nest fairly close to the site as well as three Great Horned Owl nests in the area.  Perhaps they were taken by one of these predators.  It is unlikely that skunk, coyote or fox would have gotten to the nest due to the water location.

                  The gulls on the island (Ring-billed and California) have distributed themselves all over the WMA, and few were on the island.  There are chicks on the island of both species, but the number appears to be low, compared to previous years.  I am assuming that the one scattered about the WMA failed at nesting.

                  Water has started to drop with the hot weather, but very little shorebird habitat yet.

                  Shore birds seen were Killdeer - 6, Spotted Sandpiper – 5, American Avocet - 4, Marbled Godwit – 1, and Wilson’s Phalarope – 15.

                  Pond Summaries

                  ARCO Ponds (6 ponds)

                                  53 species, and 2,000 individuals.  This made up 80% of the total birds.

                  Sewage Ponds (3 ponds)

                                  13 species, and 100 individuals.  This made up 4% of the total birds.

                   Job Corps Ponds (4 ponds)

                                  13 species, and 110 individuals. This made up 5% of the total birds.

                  Ducks Unlimited Ponds (8 ponds)

                                  36 species, and 275 individuals. This made up 11% of the total birds.

                  Gary Swant
                  Deer Lodge