Swift Survey Saturday

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2013
      Flathead Area MOB-sters:

      This Saturday is International Migratory Bird Day. It is also a day when folks will be trying to count Vaux's Swifts at as many of their known migration roost sites as possible. I am planning on coordinating an effort to survey at downtown Kalispell chimneys Saturday night, from about 8:15 through 9:30 pm.  I know of three sites used in the past, though there are doubtlessly more. I would like volunteers to survey at each of the three known sites, and maybe a couple potential sites.  Please contact me off-list at danielcasey55@...  if you would like to join in, and especially if you would like to take responsibility for surveying one of the sites.

      The three sites I know of are the Montana Building (33 Second Ave. East, where my office is), the Kalispell Medical Supply building on 3rd Ave East just north of the tracks, and the old Kalispell Jail ( the best known site, with a max count of >2200 swifts last year).  The latter is the only site that I am relatively certain will have good numbers, but you never know until you try....