Cassin's / Purple ID

  • steel_rsd
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2013
      All,
      Mike Lesnik's recent post prompted me to post pics of the Cassin's Finches that have been visting my yard. Please view in the id help photo album.

      I was initially confused but finally made the determination these were Cassin's. I'd appreciate anybody telling me I'm wrong.

      Scott Dean
      Clyde Park
    • Steven Hughes
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2013
        Yes, the Cassin's showed up in the yard last week, as did a personal fav white-crowned sparrow, complete with bright orangish bill..
        Steve Hughes,
        Livingston

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "steel_rsd" <steel_rsd@...> wrote:

        > All,
        > Mike Lesnik's recent post prompted me to post pics of the Cassin's Finches that have been visting my yard. Please view in the id help photo album.
        >
        > I was initially confused but finally made the determination these were Cassin's. I'd appreciate anybody telling me I'm wrong.
        >
        > Scott Dean
        > Clyde Park

      • Chuck Carlson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2013
          In addition to the other characteristics pointed out by others, the Cassin’s has fairly distinct, thin eye crescents as opposed to none on a Purple.

          Chuck Carlson
          Ft. Peck