Dark Morph Swainson's Hawk

  • steel_rsd
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2013
      I spotted a large Hawk perched on a power pole in north Bozeman yesterday, did my customary raptor sighting U-turn and got some photos both perched and in flight. After reviewing my photos, I realized it was dark morph Swainson's. In looking on eBird, I see Tom Forwood reported a Swainson's on the same day reletively nearby. I wonder if it was the same.

      Scott Dean
      Clyde Park, MT
    • Tom Forwood Jr.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2013
        The Swainson's Hawk I had near Davis Pond was a standard lighter bird,
        but I've had dark birds around Bozeman before. I don't know about others
        observations year after year, but I always seem to find a decent number
        of those dark birds compared to say Rough-legged or Ferruginous Hawks.