Birding Information please for an upcoming trip to Montana

  • cook_sandi
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 6:53 AM
      My husband and I will be leaving in two weeks for a trip out west. Our primary interest is owls and raptors. Some species we would love to see are Barn owls, Western Screech owls, Northern Pygmy Owls, Great Grays, Great Horned, Burrowing owls basically any owl species. We also enjoy other species like the herons, Ibis, cranes, the larger shorebirds, grebes. We will be based in the greater Yellowstone area. We are willing to travel to any location in the area. Any information you can provide is most appreciated.

      Thank you
      Sandi Cook
      Iowa City, IA
    • bdeeble2003
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 6:37 PM
        The Centennial Valley where Red Rocks National Wildlife Refuge is located west of Yellowstone is fantastic for raptors, waterfowl, and other western species like sage-grouse. Owls, not so much, but they are tough anywhere.

        You'll need a tent or small trailer for accommodations, unless you want to stay at the west portal at Lima, and at around 7000 feet probably a good bag or furnace as well, and if it gets wet a 4X4 vehicle. Worth every inconvenience....