West Bank - Warm Up

  • Beth Hill
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2013
      No Baikal Teal or Harris Hawk here tonight, but I watched a Canada Goose fly low over 3rd St NW, act like it realized its mistake (almost landing in intersection) and flew higher just to bang its head on the cross standard of the traffic light.  (I said it was flying low).  That knocked it silly for 2 wing beats and it finally made its way high enough to clear the buildings and head back to the Missouri River.  It made a pretty good clunk - do geese get headaches?
      It was a nice evening along the river - I had a few first-of-years including a Black-necked Stilt, Forster's Tern and a Lincoln's Sparrow.  Even though is was winter temperatures it sure was nice not to fight the wind.
      Beth Hill
      Great Falls

      West Bank Park, Cascade, US-MT
      Apr 30, 2013 6:06 PM - 7:19 PM
      Protocol: Traveling
      3.0 mile(s)
      Comments:     Walking; 38-35 degrees; N 10 mph; snow flurry squalls this morning and early afternoon; no snow accumulation; cloudy becoming mostly cloudy
      35 species

      Canada Goose  116
      Gadwall  24
      American Wigeon  2
      Mallard  50
      Northern Shoveler  34
      Green-winged Teal  4
      Redhead  2
      Lesser Scaup  9
      Bufflehead  2
      Red-breasted Merganser  3
      Ruddy Duck  56
      Ring-necked Pheasant  1
      Common Loon  1
      Eared Grebe  275
      Western Grebe  4
      Red-tailed Hawk  2
      American Coot  230
      Killdeer  3
      Black-necked Stilt  1
      American Avocet  20
      Franklin's Gull  400
      Ring-billed Gull  46
      California Gull  15
      Caspian Tern  1
      Forster's Tern  1
      Rock Pigeon  X
      Mourning Dove  2
      Tree Swallow  15
      Black-capped Chickadee  2
      American Robin  4
      Lincoln's Sparrow  1
      Dark-eyed Junco  1
      Red-winged Blackbird  8
      House Finch  X     a few brilliant birds in the yard today
      House Sparrow  20