Baikal Teal updates

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2013
      MOB-sters:

      Glad to hear that at least a few folks were successful in refinding the teal today. I believe a few of us from the Flathead will come down first thing tomorrow morning, and would appreciate any updates, especially explicit directions to the locations along the canal (or elsewhere) frequented by the bird.

    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2013
        Greetings Dan and MOBsters,

        I've been out since 10:30 looking for the Baikal Teal without luck, although from birders that I've spoken with along the canal say there was a sighting during that time. I will be heading back out in a few hours. I observed only Mallards in the ditch.

        If coming from the Flathead, and you want to avoid Missoula and Reserve street, you can continue South over I-90, pass under a railroad bridge and turn right on Rollercoaster Road, then left at a T-intersection with Deschamps Road, then left again on Mullen Road. After a few minutes you'll see Kona Ranch Road on the right. Take Kona Ranch, cross the Clark Fork river and then turn left on Big Flat Road. Big Flat road will turn into Blue Mountain Road which will take you to Maclay Flat. Once at Maclay Flat you can park in the parking lot on the left. This route provides some additional birding opportunities.

        Another route coming from the North would be to take the Reserve St. exit and head South on Reserve to Bitterroot Road (93), turn right (South) and then make a right on Blue Mountain Road which then leads to Maclay Flat on the right.

        You'll see the drainage ditch close to Big Flat Road and a path that follows it heading East. After a 10-15 minute walk you'll begin to see water in the ditch. Slightly further on the path breaks to the left and a small, grassy path follows the ditch. Take the small grassy path and continue along the ditch and through a fence line into an open area. Further on there is a no trespassing sign, so that is as far as you can go from this direction. From what I understand there were at least 2 sightings coming from this direction.

        If you continue on Big Flat Road there is space to park and a pullout along the left hand side, dropping down to the flat from these areas would reduce your walking time to the wet part of the drainage ditch.

        It is also possible to view some of this ditch from the East by taking Buckhouse Lane which is off the North side of Blue Mountain Road and crosses over the ditch.

        Google Maps has fine detail of this entire area.

        Good luck to all!

        Thomas Kallmeyer, Missoula

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Casey" <danielcasey55@...> wrote:

        > MOB-sters:
        > Glad to hear that at least a few folks were successful in refinding the
        > teal today. I believe a few of us from the Flathead will come down first
        > thing tomorrow morning, and would appreciate any updates, especially
        > explicit directions to the locations along the canal (or elsewhere)
        > frequented by the bird.
        > Dan CaseySomers

      • Gary Swant
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2013
          Dan,

          Here our my thoughts.

          The Baikal Teal is hanging with two wood duck males.  They want to be in the ditch and up on the bank feeding on green grass.  When pushed into flight they make several circles and want to land again in the ditch.  Folks should not get to close or I fear they will get up and leave.  Those who went early this morning saw the bird, those later in the day did not.

          For those not familiar with Mcclay Flat, the site is fairly easy to find.  From the parking lot take the immediate trail to the right and walk along the dry ditch on the trail.  When the trail goes left away from the ditch, take the less traveled trail along the ditch bank.  Once you are on the grass trail you are within  a couple of hundred feet of the site.  When you begin to see water in the ditch slow down and look carefully in the ditch and on the bank.  I got a fairly long look as long as you don't get too close.

          They are easily spooked and I believe that only a few will see the bird in the early morning.  The more who go and look, especially if they pressure the bird, the less who will see it.   I saw the teal about 8:15 this morning for 10 minutes at a distance of about 80 feet.

          Gary Swant
          Deer Lodge

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2013

            I had a nice morning walk around the Maclay Flats Loop in the light spring rain. I didn't see the Baikal Teal, yet it was a producktive morning: pairs of both Common and Hooded Mergansers, pairs of both Green-winged and Cinnamon Teal, three Wood Duck pairs, and a lone male Barrow's Goldeneye. I saw a Western Bluebird in an open area, and I also saw Ruffed Grouse and Lincoln's Sparrow in some brush along the river.  I accidentally flushed a Great Horned Owl, and my attempts to call it out got me scolding from a Spotted Towhee.  I also had only Mallards in the canal. Good morning to get out.

            By the way, I'm planning on getting out again this evening (if I have a chance) to search again for the Baikal Teal.

            Paul Rossi
            Columbia Falls/Missoula

            To: MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2013
              One small correction, in paragraph 4 below I say the ditch is close to Big Flat Road, it should read Blue Mountain Road.