Leucistic Rosy-finch?

  • Barbara Jaquith
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2007
      Hi

      I just added a couple of photos to my album. This bird (I assume it was the same one) really kept me hopping for a few days. The first call came from Washoe, about 4 miles East of Red Lodge. "I have a white bird!!" We sat the next morning waiting for it to return so we could get a photo. No luck! Later that day I ran into another friend down town. "Guess what! We had a white bird in our yard this morning!" She got photos, but they are at the beginning of a roll of film that may not be developed for a long time! We went to Hamilton for the weekend. When we got home there was another message on our answering machine! "We have a bird that you must see!!!!"........Let me GUESS!  This time the call came from about 6 miles West of Red Lodge. Bless his heart!!! Ernie Strum had taken a couple of photos that he wanted to send to me right away. And, so, I share them with you!! He was anxious for all of you to see it!

      The stories were consistent. It always came and departed with Rosy-finches. It is the size of the Rosys and it acted like all of the other Rosys.  Soooooo, is it a Rosy-finch?
      I won't push for Black Rosy-finch or Gray-crowned Rosy-finch, however?

      I might add that while we were waiting at Washoe we did see a Rosy-finch with pure white malar stripe on both sides. It was quite obvious among the other birds, thought to photograph, however.

      Barb Jaquith
      Red Lodge
    • Chuck Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2007
        Barb

        Just offhand, I'd guess that it is a Gray-crowned. It appears that all coloring except red has been removed. There is probably a certain amount of red in all the black parts in a normal bird. Interesting!

        Chuck