Birding last Weekend

  • Garrett MacDonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2007
      Hi MOB,

      I had some Spokane friends come to Missoula this last weekend to join
      me for some "Montana birding." We had a good weekend. Saturday night
      we called in 2 Northern Saw-whet Owls up Pattee Canyon in Missoula.
      Next, we dipped on Screech Owl at several likely spots, including
      Greenough Park. Does anyone know any good spots for these guys in
      western Montana?

      Sunday morning we made the long drive to Eureka for the Curve-billed
      Thrasher, which we found without any trouble. Other highlights during
      the day: Harris's Sparrow and Pine Siskin at the Casey's (my first
      since the fall); 9 Blue Jays, Common Redpoll, and Pine Grosbeaks in
      Whitefish; 4 species of gull including Glaucous at the Flathead Co.
      Landfill; and Horned and Red-necked Grebe(1) at Dayton on Flathead
      Lake. Overall, I had 5 species of owls this weekend (Boreal, Saw-
      whet, Great Horned, Long-eared, and Short-eared). It was a fun
      weekend!!

      Good birding to you all!

      Garrett MacDonald
      Missoula, MT