Re: Park County Great Egret

  • Steven Hughes
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 21, 2013
      Scott,
      Likewise Congrats, a Great spot. I have seen great egrets twice in Park Co. both times in the Paradise Valley, just south of the Chico cut-off near the Yellowstone River.
      Could you see the chartreuse breeding lores(?) in your binos?
      A real treat anywhere in Montana!

      I made a road trip to Idaho Falls yesterday (Sat) and saw several FOY groups of white pelicans, most notably just in front the the Beaverhead.
      Best,
      Steve Hughes
      Livingston

      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "steel_rsd" <steel_rsd@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Mike, I suspected you'd be out looking for it. Too bad ebird isn't acknowledging the sighting.
      > Scott Dean
      > Clyde Park
      >

      > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Lesnik" <vagapaddler@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Belated congratulations to Scott for the second ever reported (maybe first photographed) Great Egret in Park County. And yes, I was looking for it when I found the American White Pelicans.
      > >
      > > Mike Lesnik
      > > Livingston
      > >
      > > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "steel_rsd" <steel_rsd@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > MOB,
      > > > Crossing the Yellowstone on my daily commute home this evening, I spied a large, tall white bird about 100 yards down the river. Quick U-turn and a distant photo....Great Egret! Photo posted in my album.
      > > >
      > > > Scott Dean
      > > > Clyde Park, MT

    • steel_rsd
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 21, 2013
        Steve, What you see in the fuzzy pic is as good of a look as I had. As a new birder, I wouldn't have known what to look for on this species. I just know, photo first, questions later! I was fortunate to get the shot as he was off in just a few seconds.

        Speaking of Pelicans, we saw about 80 this evening (Sunday) grouped in the middle of the Madison a couple miles upstream of Black's Ford.

        Scott Dean
        Clyde Park

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Hughes" <sdh@...> wrote:

        > Scott,
        > Likewise Congrats, a Great spot. I have seen great egrets twice in Park Co. both times in the Paradise Valley, just south of the Chico cut-off near the Yellowstone River.
        > Could you see the chartreuse breeding lores(?) in your binos?
        > A real treat anywhere in Montana!
        >
        > I made a road trip to Idaho Falls yesterday (Sat) and saw several FOY groups of white pelicans, most notably just in front the the Beaverhead.
        > Best,
        > Steve Hughes
        > Livingston
        >
        > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "steel_rsd" <steel_rsd@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks Mike, I suspected you'd be out looking for it. Too bad ebird isn't acknowledging the sighting.
        > > Scott Dean
        > > Clyde Park
        > >

        > > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Lesnik" <vagapaddler@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Belated congratulations to Scott for the second ever reported (maybe first photographed) Great Egret in Park County. And yes, I was looking for it when I found the American White Pelicans.
        > > >
        > > > Mike Lesnik
        > > > Livingston

      • ntravis30
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 22, 2013
          I saw, and reported, a Great Egret several years ago in the pond next to the road just south of the town of Emigrant. I think this was back in the 90's.

          Neil M. Travis
        • Mike Lesnik
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 22, 2013
            Neil,

            Is the below your record? Apparently the data base truncates a long location description.

            Mike Lesnik
            Livingston

            Great Egret Ardea alba </nobr>
            14-May-05 14-May-05 39C QLL Park 7175
            Right off the Yellowstone river in an area of spring creeks and ponds on a private ranch. Approxima
            34011 t