Flathead Birds (2500 White Geese)

  • covillbirder92
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2013
      Best siting of the day was (3 flights combined) 2500 white geese flying north along Columbia Mtn this evening. It was incredible! Now, from what I understand, most of the large flocks of white geese would mostly be Ross's Geese? They sounded more like Ross's Geese but the larger flock was just too far away to hear clearly. Either way, it was a great site to see that many birds illuminated by the low sun flying against the mountains.

      - I wandered around the valley this morning with my wonderful girlfriend today to catch up a little on the spring arrivals.

      We visited a few ponds from south of Columbia Falls to Somers, which all had about the same variety of birds. FAIRVIEW MARSH had the largest variety of birds included some that were not seen elsewhere:

      Yellow-headed Blackbirds
      Marsh Wrens
      Eared Grebes
      Red-necked Grebes
      Pied-billed Grebes

      The collective waterfowl list comprised of:
      American Coots
      Mallards
      Northern Shovelers
      Cinnamon Teal
      Green-winged Teal
      Canvasback
      Redhead
      American Wigeon
      Gadwall
      Ring-necked Duck
      Ruddy Duck
      Canada Geese

      Somer's Bay held a Common Loon and many Horned Grebes and Coots. Also, Tree Swallows were at every location feeding above the waters surface.

      A SPOTTED TOWHEE was at an Somers bay overlook location on some road on the west side of the bay. I do not remember the name of the road, oops.

      All in all, a great day of birds!
      Joshua Covill