Warm Springs

  • steel_rsd
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2013
      Back from cold and windy "Warm" Springs. Saw most of what Gary suggested I'd see although it was cold and windy. Didn't find the Eurasian Wigeons or the Night Heron but did get 4 FOY including NOSH, RNGR, DCCO and the 5 GWFG located in a field adjacent to Raceway Pond. We had a total species list of 37 from the Warm Springs area and a few more along the way.

      Interesting 10 minute stop at Cardwell,MT (near Whitehall) saw 10 species including Wood Duck, Hooded Merganser, Blue Heron, AmKestrel, Sandhill Cranes and Turkey Vulture. On the last 10 minute before home, we saw about 200-300 Juncos of all colors along Brackett Creek Road just West of Clyde Park.

      Scott Dean
      Clyde Park
    • Gary Swant
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2014
        I took a group of birders from Missoula Audubon out to Warm Springs WMA today.  We found 53 species and had reasonable weather with a few showers.  Deer Lodge received .91 inches of moisture overnight so the roads were a little slick.

        We probably saw close to 200 American Avocets, 2 Black-necked Stilts, and 15 Snow Geese along with the usual.  New birds for Warm Springs WMA for the year were 2 - Yellow-rump Warbler, 4 or 5 Northern Rough-winged Swallow, 1 - Bonaparte's Gull, and 1 Marbled Godwit.

        Gary Swant
        Deer Lodge
      • Gary Swant
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2014
          I forgot to mention in yesterday's post on Warm Springs that we also saw 7 Long-billed Curlews at the Ducks Unlimited Ponds within the WMA.  I think that might be a record for a single day.

          Gary Swant
          Deer Lodge