Great tailed grackle in Dillon

  • eveinmontana
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2013
      Hello, my husband Kurt called me at work to say he'd seen the great-tailed grackle rumored to be in Dillon near Safeway. When I got off work, I drove over to see if I could find it as well. I finally saw it near the SW corner of the parking lot as it flew out of a cottonwood tree, accompanied by some magpies. The long, V-shaped tail was unmistakeable. At almost the same moment, I also saw a FOY turkey vulture sail over. Not a bad couple of minutes for birding in the busiest parking lot in town!

      I have posted a photo of the bird here. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MOB-Montana/photos/album/781337759/pic/597067089/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc The wind was blowing very hard, the bird was turned sideways, but as the tail was being pushed towards me in the wind, it looks shorter than it actually was. I haven't seen any common grackles in Dillon so far this year. We tend to get the lovely 'bronzed' variety in Dillon. This bird was blue/black overall.

      We also saw a FOY ferruginous hawk on Sawmill road about 4 miles south of Dillon yesterday.

      All of these birds have been reported via ebird.

      Eve Wills
      Dillon, MT