AWPE and DCCO at Lee Metcalf

  • Radd Icenoggle
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
      Mobsters,

      This afternoon I observed a single American White Pelican and a lone Double-crested Cormorant. Also 11 Snow Geese were present.

      Radd Icenoggle
    • Chuck Carlson
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 17, 2014
        Mobsters

        The first Pintails I saw were on the 8th and there are many here now. I lot of them are stained a bright rust color on the breast. Several hundred California Gulls are loafing on the river with a few Ring-billed.

        On the 13th I found two Common Ravens feeding the remains of an eagle kill. A single raven was a flyover of the yard on 2/20.

        On Friday, the first Red-breasted Merganser of the season was found on the river just below the powerplants. Thousands of Canada Geese are can be found on the river below the Nelson Dredge Cut Point along with Mallards and Pintails. There were some American Wigeon in the mass of birds, but for the past two days the point is inaccessible to me because of mud. I have yet to ID a Cackling Goose this spring.

        A female type Purple Finch showed up in the yard this morning, the first since November 16, and it appears that the Sharp-shinned Hawk has left the area (knock on wood). We finally had some American Goldfinches come to the yard on Saturday. We’ve had none since Nov. 17.

        Chuck Carlson
        Ft. Peck
      • Chuck Carlson
        Message 3 of 21 , May 5 10:13 AM
          Mobsters

          The sparrows are moving in now. The yard seems full of White-crowned and White-throated with several Lincoln’s thrown into the mix. Sunday afternoon a neighbor reported a Western Tanager at his suet and about an hour later it had found it’s way to ours. It was a first spring male with brownish wings and tail and streaked back.

          The river releases are quite high right now and waterfowl have little space for loafing, but the late migrants were found on the lake just below the dam.

          On Saturday I found 47 Bonaparte’s Gulls on the river just below the powerplant along with 14 American White Pelicans, ring-billed and California gulls, 2 Common Loons and others.

          Chuck Carlson
          Ft. Peck
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 21 , May 5 5:53 PM

            Hi Chuck,

            Your W. Tanager Sunday ties the record for earliest occurrence in the state.

            Jeff

            *******************
            Jeff Marks
            4241 SE Liebe Street
            Portland, OR 97206
            503-774-4783
            Birds of Montana Project
            http://mtaudubon.org/
            *******************

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 21
              Mobsters

              This afternoon I was out at the Nelson Dredge Point and found that some shorebirds were on the gravel bar. There were 16 American Avocets and 8 Marbled Godwits loafing and preening. Then as I was scanning and counting a large gull appeared. It seemed to be a bit larger than a Herring when compared to a California. The eye however was not bright yellow but more a faintly dark yellowish shade. I’ll have to do some studying to see if I can come up with an ID.

              Then I noted a very dark backed gull which turned out to be a Lesser Black-backed Gull. I’ll post some long range photos tonight or tomorrow.

              Good gull day here. No warblers though.

              Chuck Carlson
              Ft. Peck
            • Chuck Carlson
              Message 6 of 21 , May 13 12:21 PM
                Mobsters

                Of course that should have been Blackpoll Warbler and not Black-poll.

                Chuck