Freezout P.M.

  • Larry Carter
    Message 1 of 99 , Apr 2, 2013
      MOB, First of all I hope I am not sending this message twice. Checked out Freezout this P.M. Beautiful day it was. First of year birds are--one Cackling Goose with a flock of Snow/Ross's Geese, also a new State bird, 16 Double-cr. Cormorants on Pond 5 at their favorite nesting spot on the large island, 8 Red-br. Mergansers at the Dike, 2 Greater Yellowlegs on the southeast part of Pond 3, 14 Cinnamon Teal on Pond 1, 4 Sandhill Cranes at Priest Butte Lake, and finally 2 Common Mergansers seen on the backside of Freezout. White Pelicans has increased to 56 birds on Pond 1. The Snow/Ross's as What I saw around Freezout around 3,000, Tundra Swans only what I saw at 16. All for now, good birding, Larry Carter Fairfield
    • birder43
      Message 99 of 99 , May 22

        MOB, well I checked out Freezout this late afternoon.  I did see some of what Mike saw but the sun did not help me.  New birds for this year are--  saw one Pectoral Sandpiper on Pond 4, saw 10 Red--necked Phalaropes on Pond 1,  one Eastern Kingbird on the west side of Freezout, saw one Swainson's Hawk on the west side and then on my way out of Freezout I saw one with another one of which it was coal dark plumage, Dark Morph I do believe, was seen south of Pond 6, and finally saw first Yellow Warbler at the Garage site.  Other birds worth a note are--  saw 15 Long-billed Dowitchers at Pond 4, several Wilson's Phalaropes on Pond 4 and Pond 1, saw 2 Upland Sandpipers along the Mud Rd,  2 Least Sandpipers at Pond 4, plus 2 Western Sandpipers at Pond 4 and 6Semipalmated Sandpipers at Pond 4.  All for now, good birding Larry Carter  Fairfield.