Re: Warm Springs WMA

  • Nate Kohler
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 2, 2013
      Hello All,

      For those who plan to visit the Warm Springs Area in the near future it should be noted that remediation work on the Clark Fork River north of the area has begun in earnest. As part of an ongoing Superfund Project the DEQ has been removing contaminated soils along Silver Bow Creek which were deposited downstream from Butte during a flood in the early 1900's. This removal and reconstruction has now reached the Warm Springs Area, thus access to some of the ponds will be limited until the project is completed.

      As I understand it, work in the area is scheduled only on the weekdays, but this could change.

      At present the Warm Springs Crossing Road due east out of Warm Springs, which is the primary access to the ARCO Ponds has heavy truck traffic during the weekdays. This road was quite degraded when I went over it today and unless it is repaired soon I do not recommend using it, even on the weekends. Access to the Eastside Road (and thus the ARCO Ponds) can be reached by the Galen or Perkins Lane Crossings a few miles north of Warm Springs, or by Stuart Lane east out of Opportunity a few miles south of Warm Springs.

      Unfortunately, due to the construction traffic, access to the Job Corps Ponds and the Sewage Ponds (northeast of Warm Springs) is probably out of the question on the weekdays, but may be possible on the weekends. Access to the Ducks Unlimited Ponds (west of Warm Springs) should not be a problem.

      On a lighter, birdier note: following my visit to the Warm Springs Ponds this morning I went up to Stumptown Road, west of Anaconda, and found my first Fox Sparrow of the year.

      Nate Kohler
      Deer Lodge
      Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gyr/

      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Swant" <birdmontana1@...> wrote:

      > Today I had 12,000 birds in 49 species. New birds to the WMA today were Horned Grebe, Red-necked Grebe, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Turkey Vulture, Marsh Wren, and Yellow-headed Blackbird.
      >
      > Nate Kohler told me that he also saw a Long-billed Curlew, but I did not find it later in the day.
      >
      > Other highlights were 1,300 Northern Shovelers, 5,000 Canvasback, 1,200 American Coot, 780 Common Goldeneye, 685 American Wigeon and 3 Eurasian Wigeon.
      >
      > The four Greater White-fronted Geese are still present at the Racetrack Pond.
      >
      > Gary Swant
      > Deer Lodge

    • Gary Swant
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 12, 2013
        I surveyed WS WMA on Thursday April 11 with the following results.

        20,000 individuals and 48 species. Highlights were 1000 Snow Geese, 40 Ross's Geese, 2500 American Wigeon, 2600 Norther Shovelers, 4900 Canvasback, 500 Common Goldeneye, 5300 American Coots, all 3 mergansers including 7 Red-breasted Mergansers, and 19 Sandhill Cranes.

        The 5 White-fronted Geese were still at the Racetrack Pond on the Island.

        Gary Swant
        Deer Lodge
      • Gary Swant
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 20, 2013
          I took a group of birders from Missoula's Audubon Club around the WS WMA today. New birds of the year for me were Long-billed Curlew, Western Grebe, and 1 beautiful male Yellow-rumped Warbler.

          I also took a few pictures of white geese. I placed one photo in my album that shows both Snow and Ross's Geese for comparison.

          Gary Swant
          Deer Lodge
        • Janice Miller
          Message 4 of 26 , May 13 1:41 PM
            I was delighted to be part of the Last Chance Audubon field trip to Warm Springs WMA yesterday - Mother's Day. Although I've been a member for over 20 years, this was my first visit, and it was a great experience. Andrea Stierle was our very knowledgeable guide - Thank you, Andrea! Counting Andrea and myself, we had 6 people in our group.
            Besides this list of 65 bird species, we also saw a fox at close range.
            Janice Miller
            Helena
            1. Canada Goose
            2. Trumpeter Swan
            3. Wood Duck
            4. Gadwall
            5. American Wigeon
            6. Mallard
            7. Cinnamon Teal
            8. Northern Shoveler
            9. Northern Pintail
            10. Canvasback
            11. Redhead
            12. Ring-necked Duck
            13. Lesser Scaup
            14. Bufflehead
            15. Barrow’s Goldeneye
            16. Ruddy Duck
            17. Common Loon
            18. Red-necked Grebe
            19. Double-crested Cormorant
            20. Great Blue Heron
            21. White-faced Ibis
            22. Osprey
            23. Bald Eagle
            24. Northern Harrier
            25. Swainson’s Hawk
            26. Red-tailed Hawk
            27. American Kestrel
            28. Sora
            29. American Coot
            30. Sandhill Crane
            31. Killdeer
            32. American Avocet
            33. Willet
            34. Marbled Godwit
            35. Common Snipe
            36. Ring-billed Gull
            37. California Gull
            38. Rock Pigeon
            39. Eurasian Collared-Dove
            40. Great Horned Owl
            41. Belted Kingfisher
            42. Northern Flicker
            43. Black-billed Magpie
            44. American Crow
            45. Common Raven
            46. Tree Swallow
            47. Violet-green Swallow
            48. Barn Swallow
            49. Black-capped Chickadee
            50. Mountain Chickadee
            51. Marsh Wren
            52. Mountain Bluebird
            53. American Robin
            54. European Starling
            55. Clay-colored Sparrow
            56. Savannah Sparrow
            57. Song Sparrow
            58. Western Tanager
            59. Red-winged Blackbird
            60. Western Meadowlark
            61. Yellow-headed Blackbird
            62. Brewer’s Blackbird
            63. House Finch
            64. Pine Siskin
            65. House Sparrow
          • Gary Swant
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 22, 2013
              A little wet today, but no wind and warm.

              I observed 72 species and just short of 3,000 individual birds.

              The highlight today were 1 Great Egret in ARCO Pond 1. It was with the nesting Double-crested Cormorants and Great Blue Herons. This is the 3rd time I have seen one at Warm Springs.

              I also found the nest of the Black-crowned Night-Herons. There were two adults and a single juvenile at the nest. The nest is in ARCO East Pond. I think that this is the only breeding pair of Night-Herons west of the continental divide.

              The Bald Eagle nest that I thought was unsuccessful this year had a single juvenile sitting on the edge of the nest. I missed that offspring all spring!

              Gary Swant
              Deer Lodge
            • garyswant
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 21, 2014

                Spring staging is in full swing at WS WMA with 42 species and 12,200 individuals.  There were 20 species of waterfowl with the following highlights.

                220 Snow Goose, 4 Ross's Goose, 108 Tundra Swan, 3,000 American Wigeon, 2 - Eurasian Wigeon, 6,000 Northern Pintail, 2,600 Canvasback, 2,000 Common Goldeneye.  In addition I saw 1 Peregrine Falcon looking for a meal at ARCO Pond 3.

                Total species seen at WS WMA for 2014 now stands at 56.

                Gary Swant

                Deer Lodge

              • garyswant
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 20

                  Nearly all of the ice is gone at WS WMA now.  I found 17 species of waterfowl today including about 450 Northern Pintail, 2,500 Mallards, and 1,200 Common Goldeneye.  There were a few Redhead, Canvasback, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Lesser Scaup and Barrow's Goldeneye.  I did find 2 Greater Scaup as well.  There were also about 50 Tundra and three Trumpeter Swans.

                  A pair of Great Horned Owls are preparing a nest, but the Bald Eagles have not started to build a nest to replace the one that fell out of the tree last summer.  Adult Bald Eagles were in the area, so we shall see if they rebuild or move on.

                  Gary Swant

                  Deer Lodge

                • garyswant
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 12

                    Warm Springs WMA Report – March 12, 2015

                    This is the first count for the 2015 season.  There were 41 species found today, and the year to date total species is 47.  Total individuals counted were 14,600.  There were 17 species of waterfowl.

                    Temperatures ranged from 41 to 52 F, partly cloudy, and calm winds.  Most of the ice is off the ponds with 20 to 30% remaining.  That will be gone by next week.

                    Birds of interest were 2 Great Horned Owl on the nest, and one Bald Eagle pair on the nest.  The Bald Eagle nest was lost in a wind storm last year and was replaced by another nest this year about 300 yards east of the original nest in another Cottonwood tree.  This second nest is only about 200 yards off Eastside Road.

                    I found 2 Eurasian Wigeon and 1,300 American Wigeon.  High count species today were 8,600 Northern Pintails, 1,300 Mallards, and 1,250 Common Goldeneye.

                    My Snow Goose count was a little lower than Freezeout (30,000 yesterday) with only 2.  I also counted 385 Tundra Swan and 4 Trumpeter Swans.

                    Very few American Coots as of yet, with only 46.  Gulls are still in small numbers as well with 6 Ring-billed and 18 California Gulls.

                    ARCO Ponds

                                    37 species, and 3,240 individuals.  This made up 22% of the total birds.

                    Sewage Ponds

                                    5 species, and 45 individuals.  This made up <1% of the total birds.

                     Job Corps Ponds

                                    11 species, and 5,390 individuals. This made up 37% of the total birds.

                    Ducks Unlimited Ponds

                                    10 species, and 5,881 individuals. This made up 40% of the total birds.

                  • nskohler
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 12

                      Hello All,

                      Steve Wickliffe and I visited the Warm Springs WMA for a few hours this morning. It was cool and windy with a touch of snow from the previous night. We recorded 58 species in the area. A few birds of note:

                      Common Loon – one adult on ARCO Pond 3

                      Red-necked Grebe – a few pairs on the ARCO and Job Corps Ponds

                      Black-crowned Night-Heron – two birds at the south end of ARCO Pond 3

                      Osprey – one pair at the ARCO Ponds and another pair at the Racetrack Pond

                      Greater Yellowlegs – four birds at the Job Corps Ponds

                      Peregrine Falcon – one adult at the Ducks Unlimited Ponds

                      Yellow-headed Blackbird – a handful of birds at the ARCO, Job Corps and Ducks Unlimited Ponds

                      Nate Kohler

                      Deer Lodge

                      Photos:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/gyr/