Ft. Peck arrivals

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31 9:09 PM
      On Saturday I found a pair of swans north of Ft. Peck in a stubble field flooded with snow melt along with a hundred or so geese. I assumed that they were Tundra Swans as I had never seen Trumpeters out here and one of them had a small yellow spot on the loral area below the eye. But as I watched them and took some photos there were some things that didn’t seem right for Tundras, like the wide black facial skin that doesn’t pinch in as it nears the eye. After seeing the shots I was still not sure but asked someone well versed in swans. He thought they were Trumpeters, but had some reservations about that ID also. He did say that a very small number of Trumpeters are found with the yellow spot. Photo is posted on MOB.

      The first American White Pelican of the year showed up here today. Ducks have arrived in great numbers and include just about every species that can be expected here. There was one Eurasian Wigeon in with them in another flooded field. The swans were seen again several miles from the original spot.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck
    • Lynn Bacon
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013

        I have a group of starlings that roost in a large choke cheery above my yard tent every year, so I have heard starling mimicry up close and personal for years.  I have heard them mimic: bald eagle, robin, killdeer, dog barks, human words, chickens/roosters, red tails, likely more.  I know they are invasive creatures, and out compete especially flickers for nest sites, but I admit to being very fond of starlings because of this trait.

        Lynn M. Bacon

        TerraQuatic, LLC

        Principal, Senior Scientist

        614 West Lamme Street

        Bozeman, MT  59715

        (406) 580-6993

        lbacon@...

        **TerraQuatic, LLC is a Certified DBE**

      • Chuck Carlson
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 3, 2013
          A Double-crested Cormorant was just below the powerplant this afternoon and a Lesser Black-backed Gull must have just flown in. It slept for over two hours on the small gravel bar just off the bridge at Park Grove.

          Chuck Carlson
          Ft. Peck
        • Radd Icenoggle
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 3, 2013
            Mobsters,

            This afternoon I observed a single American White Pelican and a lone Double-crested Cormorant. Also 11 Snow Geese were present.

            Radd Icenoggle
          • Chuck Carlson
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 17 12:16 PM
              Mobsters

              The first Pintails I saw were on the 8th and there are many here now. I lot of them are stained a bright rust color on the breast. Several hundred California Gulls are loafing on the river with a few Ring-billed.

              On the 13th I found two Common Ravens feeding the remains of an eagle kill. A single raven was a flyover of the yard on 2/20.

              On Friday, the first Red-breasted Merganser of the season was found on the river just below the powerplants. Thousands of Canada Geese are can be found on the river below the Nelson Dredge Cut Point along with Mallards and Pintails. There were some American Wigeon in the mass of birds, but for the past two days the point is inaccessible to me because of mud. I have yet to ID a Cackling Goose this spring.

              A female type Purple Finch showed up in the yard this morning, the first since November 16, and it appears that the Sharp-shinned Hawk has left the area (knock on wood). We finally had some American Goldfinches come to the yard on Saturday. We’ve had none since Nov. 17.

              Chuck Carlson
              Ft. Peck
            • Chuck Carlson
              Message 6 of 19 , May 5, 2014
                Mobsters

                The sparrows are moving in now. The yard seems full of White-crowned and White-throated with several Lincoln’s thrown into the mix. Sunday afternoon a neighbor reported a Western Tanager at his suet and about an hour later it had found it’s way to ours. It was a first spring male with brownish wings and tail and streaked back.

                The river releases are quite high right now and waterfowl have little space for loafing, but the late migrants were found on the lake just below the dam.

                On Saturday I found 47 Bonaparte’s Gulls on the river just below the powerplant along with 14 American White Pelicans, ring-billed and California gulls, 2 Common Loons and others.

                Chuck Carlson
                Ft. Peck
              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 19 , May 5, 2014

                  Hi Chuck,

                  Your W. Tanager Sunday ties the record for earliest occurrence in the state.

                  Jeff

                  Jeff Marks
                  4241 SE Liebe Street
                  Portland, OR 97206