Re: [MOB-Montana] Re: Birding Far Eastern MT

  • Forrest Rowland
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 22 10:26 AM
      Mike,

      Cool, Thanks! I'll have to powwow with you when I get back Ecuador April 15th. Maybe we can get some birding time, too? Looks like I'm freeing up for spring migration, which I'm very excited about...

      My phone's 8145731391. Gimme a shout sometime.

      Best Wishes,

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 22 6:40 PM
        Forrest, My copy is in the truck but in Terry McEneaney's, Birding Montana there are not so great directions to a small box canyon southwest of Ekalaka. The key is that you have to drive into South Dakota and back into Custer Forest in MT. It was a great place to camp and one on my lifetime memories. It had a small spring and was full of warblers in the spring. I was there at least a dozen years ago.
        Terry's book is really good if you just trust it and keep your eyes open...
        Enjoy yourself, that is great part of the world,
        (Saw my first longspur, and first stealth bomber on that trip.)
        Steve

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Forrest Rowland <rowbird2005@...> wrote:

        > MOB,
        >
        > I've been poring over the Road Atlas, and Google Earth, mapping out a route from Alzada (SE) up to Westby (NE). My ambition is to drive this, birding my way South-to-North over the course of about a week or so, during the final days of May and first days of June. I have tagged any wooded areas along the course that I could find with reasonable access.
        >
        > I have never been out that way before, and would really love to hear about any birding spots you MOBsters might know of. Tips on where to stay would be great, too, as it seems lodging is decidedly scarce.
        >
        > I appreciate any information you might have on the topic!
        >
        > Thanks gang,
        >
        > Forrest Rowland
        > Livingston, MT

      • Forrest Rowland
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 23 4:08 PM
          Steve,

          Thank you!!! I'll look for that box canyon on Google Earth. It's going to be a fun trip. I hope to spend 4-5 days out that way, poking around, at least. Hopefully my first of many Spring forays into one of the least-birded parts of the state.

          Again, thanks so much for your help!

          Warm Regards,

          Forrest Rowland
          Livingston, MT

          Forrest, My copy is in the truck but in Terry McEneaney's, Birding Montana there are not so great directions to a small box canyon southwest of Ekalaka. The key is that you have to drive into South Dakota and back into Custer Forest in MT. It was a great place to camp and one on my lifetime memories. It had a small spring and was full of warblers in the spring. I was there at least a dozen years ago.
          Terry's book is really good if you just trust it and keep your eyes open...
          Enjoy yourself, that is great part of the world,
          (Saw my first longspur, and first stealth bomber on that trip.)
          Steve

          --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Forrest Rowland <rowbird2005@...> wrote:

          > MOB,
          >
          > I've been poring over the Road Atlas, and Google Earth, mapping out a route from Alzada (SE) up to Westby (NE). My ambition is to drive this, birding my way South-to-North over the course of about a week or so, during the final days of May and first days of June. I have tagged any wooded areas along the course that I could find with reasonable access.
          >
          > I have never been out that way before, and would really love to hear about any birding spots you MOBsters might know of. Tips on where to stay would be great, too, as it seems lodging is decidedly scarce.
          >
          > I appreciate any information you might have on the topic!
          >
          > Thanks gang,
          >
          > Forrest Rowland
          > Livingston, MT

        • Grace Blair

            Forrest, My copy is in the truck but in Terry McEneaney's, Birding Montana there are not so great directions to a small box canyon southwest of Ekalaka. The key is that you have to drive into South Dakota and back into Custer Forest in MT. It was a great place to camp and one on my lifetime memories. It had a small spring and was full of warblers in the spring. I was there at least a dozen years ago.
            Terry's book is really good if you just trust it and keep your eyes open...
            Enjoy yourself, that is great part of the world,
            (Saw my first longspur, and first stealth bomber on that trip.)
            Steve

            --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Forrest Rowland <rowbird2005@...> wrote:

            > MOB,
            >
            > I've been poring over the Road Atlas, and Google Earth, mapping out a route from Alzada (SE) up to Westby (NE). My ambition is to drive this, birding my way South-to-North over the course of about a week or so, during the final days of May and first days of June. I have tagged any wooded areas along the course that I could find with reasonable access.
            >
            > I have never been out that way before, and would really love to hear about any birding spots you MOBsters might know of. Tips on where to stay would be great, too, as it seems lodging is decidedly scarce.
            >
            > I appreciate any information you might have on the topic!
            >
            > Thanks gang,
            >
            > Forrest Rowland
            > Livingston, MT

          • Forrest Rowland
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 23 4:32 PM
              Grace,

              NICE! Thank you. We'll probably camp for a couple nights, get a room, camp for a couple nights, etc. in an attempt to work in a shower or two during the trip. Much appreciated Grace!

              Best Wishes,

              Forrest

              Forrest, My copy is in the truck but in Terry McEneaney's, Birding Montana there are not so great directions to a small box canyon southwest of Ekalaka. The key is that you have to drive into South Dakota and back into Custer Forest in MT. It was a great place to camp and one on my lifetime memories. It had a small spring and was full of warblers in the spring. I was there at least a dozen years ago.
              Terry's book is really good if you just trust it and keep your eyes open...
              Enjoy yourself, that is great part of the world,
              (Saw my first longspur, and first stealth bomber on that trip.)
              Steve

              --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Forrest Rowland <rowbird2005@...> wrote:

              > MOB,
              >
              > I've been poring over the Road Atlas, and Google Earth, mapping out a route from Alzada (SE) up to Westby (NE). My ambition is to drive this, birding my way South-to-North over the course of about a week or so, during the final days of May and first days of June. I have tagged any wooded areas along the course that I could find with reasonable access.
              >
              > I have never been out that way before, and would really love to hear about any birding spots you MOBsters might know of. Tips on where to stay would be great, too, as it seems lodging is decidedly scarce.
              >
              > I appreciate any information you might have on the topic!
              >
              > Thanks gang,
              >
              > Forrest Rowland
              > Livingston, MT

            • Arla Eckert

                --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com <http://e1.mc1624.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=MOB-Montana%40yahoogroups.com> , Forrest Rowland <rowbird2005@...> wrote:

                > MOB,
                >
                > I've been poring over the Road Atlas, and Google Earth, mapping out a route from Alzada (SE) up to Westby (NE). My ambition is to drive this, birding my way South-to-North over the course of about a week or so, during the final days of May and first days of June. I have tagged any wooded areas along the course that I could find with reasonable access.
                >
                > I have never been out that way before, and would really love to hear about any birding spots you MOBsters might know of. Tips on where to stay would be great, too, as it seems lodging is decidedly scarce.
                >
                > I appreciate any information you might have on the topic!
                >
                > Thanks gang,
                >
                > Forrest Rowland
                > Livingston, MT

              • Forrest Rowland
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 23 5:33 PM
                  Arla,

                  Awesome...thank you!!! We'll keep that in mind. Sounds like Medicine Rocks is a great place to visit. My wife's not seen a Red-headed Woodpecker. That's up there, along with quite a few others, that we'd like to see in MT. We'll pack the swim trunks, too.

                  Thanks again!

                  Best Wishes,

                  Forrest

                    Forrest, My copy is in the truck but in Terry McEneaney's, Birding Montana there are not so great directions to a small box canyon southwest of Ekalaka. The key is that you have to drive into South Dakota and back into Custer Forest in MT. It was a great place to camp and one on my lifetime memories. It had a small spring and was full of warblers in the spring. I was there at least a dozen years ago.
                  Terry's book is really good if you just trust it and keep your eyes open...
                  Enjoy yourself, that is great part of the world,
                  (Saw my first longspur, and first stealth bomber on that trip.)
                  Steve

                  --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com <http://e1.mc1624.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=MOB-Montana%40yahoogroups.com> , Forrest Rowland <rowbird2005@...> wrote:

                  > MOB,
                  >
                  > I've been poring over the Road Atlas, and Google Earth, mapping out a route from Alzada (SE) up to Westby (NE). My ambition is to drive this, birding my way South-to-North over the course of about a week or so, during the final days of May and first days of June. I have tagged any wooded areas along the course that I could find with reasonable access.
                  >
                  > I have never been out that way before, and would really love to hear about any birding spots you MOBsters might know of. Tips on where to stay would be great, too, as it seems lodging is decidedly scarce.
                  >
                  > I appreciate any information you might have on the topic!
                  >
                  > Thanks gang,
                  >
                  > Forrest Rowland
                  > Livingston, MT

                • emilieboyles
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 23 8:56 PM
                    Because of the oil boom, book your rooms NOW....there may not be any available even in a few weeks to book.
                    That's everywhere out here (I'm based in Glendive but travel the region for work).
                    Also, stop at Makoshika state park and check out the bluebird trail..the ranger there, Ryan Sokoloski, is a birder and if you get a hold of him and let him know you're coming he can point you the right way. (Makoshika.org)

                    There's also some good dusk siting at Blackbridge FAS in Glendive.

                    Two other spots you might check out - the Terry badlands/calypso trail if you're into buzzards and Medicine Lake(between Sidney and Plentywood)- they have an amazing birding spot on a post about the height of a telephone pole created just for birding.

                    I'm an amateur birder, but know the area pretty well - if you have more specific questions I'd be glad to help you out!

                    Hope this helps!

                    --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Forrest Rowland <rowbird2005@...> wrote:

                    > MOB,
                    >
                    > I've been poring over the Road Atlas, and Google Earth, mapping out a route from Alzada (SE) up to Westby (NE). My ambition is to drive this, birding my way South-to-North over the course of about a week or so, during the final days of May and first days of June. I have tagged any wooded areas along the course that I could find with reasonable access.
                    >
                    > I have never been out that way before, and would really love to hear about any birding spots you MOBsters might know of. Tips on where to stay would be great, too, as it seems lodging is decidedly scarce.
                    >
                    > I appreciate any information you might have on the topic!
                    >
                    > Thanks gang,
                    >
                    > Forrest Rowland
                    > Livingston, MT

                  • Forrest Rowland
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 24 3:02 PM
                      Ms. Boyles,

                      Thanks for the advice! I've heard how crazy it's been out that way, lately. Thanks for the heads up on accommodations. I'll definitely take that into consideration, and the sites, too.

                      Much appreciated!

                      Good Birding,

                      Forrest Rowland
                      Livingston, MT