Great-tailed Grackle in Dillon

  • Jeff Marks
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2013
      This morning Jack Kirkley photographed a singing male Great-tailed Grackle near the Safeway store in Dillon.  I do not know exactly where the bird was located, but Jack first heard it while he was at the Safeway gas pumps.  If the bird is still there, I suspect it would be easily located from a visit to the general area.  I do not know if a Taco Bell is nearby.  If so, it would make for some interesting speculations as to the bird's origin.

      Jeff

      *******************
      Jeff Marks
      4241 SE Liebe Street
      Portland, OR 97206
      503-774-4783
      Birds of Montana Project
      http://mtaudubon.org/
      *******************
    • Jackie Wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2013
        ha!

        --
        Jackie

        "Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."       Howard Thurman
      • Kristi DuBois
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2013
          I stopped off at Somers today, during a quick trip up to the Flathead Valley for other purposes.  I looked for the yellow-billed loon on the way home, in mid-afternoon, but did not see it.  It has probably moved on.

          A few other birds were mixed in with the large flocks of coots, including common merganser and goldeneye (not sure which species, as they were quite far out).  The Canada geese were paired up and checking out the old pier pilings and islands in Somers Bay.  Other species of ducks were showing up.  A few small grebes were visible in Somers Bay, but poor lighting hampered my brief efferts to ID them.

          The bald eagle was incubating in the nest by Rollins, which is easily visible from the south-bound pullout on highway 93, just south of the fire station.

          Western meadowlarks were singing in the Ninepipes area.  Great blue herons were starting to check out their rookery there.  It sure looked and felt like spring!

          Kristi DuBois
          Missoula

          At 03:34 PM 3/8/2013, you wrote:

          This morning Jack Kirkley photographed a singing male Great-tailed Grackle near the Safeway store in Dillon.  I do not know exactly where the bird was located, but Jack first heard it while he was at the Safeway gas pumps.  If the bird is still there, I suspect it would be easily located from a visit to the general area.  I do not know if a Taco Bell is nearby.  If so, it would make for some interesting speculations as to the bird's origin.

          Jeff

          *******************
          Jeff Marks
          4241 SE Liebe Street
          Portland, OR 97206
          503-774-4783
          Birds of Montana Project
          http://mtaudubon.org/
        • eveinmontana
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2013
            Dillon does not have a Taco Bell, but it does have a Taco John's down on Atlantic Street. The location the bird was seen in is a block from Dillon's 'famous Taco Bus' ;-). To me, a great-tailed grackle in Dillon does not seem particularly surprising, as I've often seen them in my home town of Twin Falls, Idaho, which is a 4-1/2 hour drive south of Dillon. The habitat in Dillon is much the same as the high, dry desert of southern Idaho. There's also lots of Mexican food in Twin Falls ;-).

            Eve Wills
            Dillon, MT