Crossbills in Bozeman Area (and e-bird app tip)

  • kerristrasheim
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 7:42 PM
      Greetings -

      I wanted to share that I have seen White-winged Crossbills and Red Crossbills dining on cones on the tops of my spruce trees the last couple of days -so keep your eyes open! The White-winged Crossbills were a life lister for me - confirmed 3 pairs.

      And, speaking of confirmation, when you submit a checklist on the e-bird app and when the message pops up that this is a rare bird that needs confirmation - this is something they do on their end with their scientists and distribution information. I had a birder friend come over to "confirm" by having 2 observers and I added very detailed observations to "confirm" before searching the internet to find out what that message actually means! Overall, I am liking the convenience of the e-bird app - just takes a little longer than some apps to figure out.

      Kerri Strasheim
      Bozeman, MT
    • Kristi DuBois
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4 7:42 PM
        Has anyone seen the yellow-billed loon by Somers recently?

        Kristi - Missoula
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5 9:11 AM
          Kristi:

          Several people, myslef included, have looked for the bird over the past two weeks (including this past Sunday) without success. It may still be present somewhere on the lake, but is apparently no longer frequenting Somers Bay. As far as I know, the last sighting was 19 February by Cynthia Hudson.