Early Spring Continues at Freezout

  • Michael Schwitters
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 9:20 AM
      All,
      Lots of open water appeared at Freezout Lake WMA yesterday and spring
      birds continue to arrive. This morning I saw the first gulls, two
      Californias, about 3-400 Snow Geese, American Wigeons, two Canvasbacks,
      a female Lesser Scaup, and good numbers of Northern Pintail, Redheads
      and Common Goldeneyes. These were set against a sky filled with flocks
      of Canada Geese and Mallards.
      Away from Freezout I found the Rattlesnake Butte marked Golden Eagle.
      She has been nesting there for a bunch of years. She was in last year's
      (and the previous year's (2011) nest).
      Mike Schwitters
      Choteau MT