RFI - early summer targets

  • lguy_mcw
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 9:12 AM
      Greetings!
      I have just joined the group, expressly to help me plan a trip to Montana for some specific birds. I will be coming from Washington state, and while not averse to driving to Fort Peck, I would like to TRY to get my targets closer to the west side ;) Several species I have breifly seen, but a Better View is Desired (BVD).

      Black-billed Cuckoo
      Sprague's Pipit (BVD)
      Baird's Sparrow (BVD)
      Le Conte's Sparrow

      Sedge Wren is a long shot (only chance is on North Dakota border, correct?)

      Any suggestions about time of year to visit, and specific sites to scour, would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking June?

      Secondary is just to visit some birding areas in eastern Montana, where I have only birded in-passing. Any suggestions on not-to-be-missed birding locations on that side of the state would also be appreciated!

      Thank You!
      Guy McWethy
      Renton Washington
      lguy_mcw at yahoo
    • steel_rsd
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1 2:19 PM
        Guy, I'll let some of the more experienced members elaborate, but my suggestions for other birding spots are Freezout Lake (NW of Great Falls)at the end of March for the Snow Geese migration, which I'm going to see for the first time this year as well as the May Warblers in Westby, MT in the far NE corner of the state. Scott Dean