Yard Birds in Billings

  • John Carlson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2013
      This morning while working on my morning ebird list for the yard, my local Blue Jays and a host of my yard regulars found me a new yard bird. I noticed lots of agitated activity around the spruce in the back yard and I figured that there had to be an owl in there. After a few minutes of peering in and around the tree I managed to get a view of an Eastern Screech-Owl peering back at me. The hoard of harassers kept at it for about 20 minutes, but it appears that they have now decided to move on and leave the owl in peace for a bit.  At least until the Blue Jays show back and up and get everyone all agitated again.
      The most notable species of late has been a small flock of about 8 Red Crossbills that have been fairly regular at the water and sunflower seeds, highly variable numbers of Common Redpolls (ranging from 1 to well over 20), and earlier this week I had a young Cooper's Hawk trying to catch a snack from the buffet.
      Last weekend a made a trip to Silvertip Creek south of Belfry looking for a wild Chukar in MT and struck out, but I did find a few tracks that were probably Chukar. The only bird I saw in that drainage was a couple of Black-billed Magpies. I guess I will have to try again.

      John Carlson
      Billings, MT
      jccarlson@...
      www.prairieice.blogspot.com