Ft. Peck birding

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2013
      The backyard has been quite busy at times and completely silent at others. A Sharp-shinned Hawk has taken up a part-time lease. Yesterday it spent the entire afternoon perched on a branch laying in front of the spruces. As a result we had a total of only six species for the day. In comparison, Wednesday had 12 species and the hawk visited once and had lunch.

      Yard bird regulars include a flock of over 60 Common Redpolls, a band of around 16 Blue Jays that come for a daily ration of peanuts in the morning, and up to 6 Northern Flickers including 3 Yellow-shafted, 1 Red-shafted female and 2 intergrade males which have red nape stripes and red malar stripes. Also regular are both nuthatches, Black-capped Chickadee, an occasional Townsend’s Solitaire and some Dark-eyed Juncos.

      Yesterday (Thursday) I went down to the river and found a many Bald Eagles and at least 6 common Ravens soaring around over the river. After a bit the eagles had dropped to perching trees over in McCone County, across the river from my vantage point, and I was able to count 103. An impressive sight. Two female Hooded Mergansers are wintering in an ice free area of the Winter Harbor with a single female Common Goldeneye.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck