Loon update

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2013
      MOB-sters:

      Today's visits to Somers Bay may have clarified the movement pattern of the Yellow-billed Loon in Somers Bay. When Bob Lee and I looked from the hatchery, N. Juniper Bay Road, and the boat ramp area between 8:40 and 9:30 , we did not see the bird, in spite of calm waters.   But an hour or so later Nate Kohler did see the bird, and by early afternoon it had been joined by two Common Loons. At about 2:30 it was showing in full sunlight (but distant) for the Flathead Audubon group at N. Juniper Bay Rd. Shortly thereafter, Susannah and I tried kayaking out for a better photo, but the bird had moved way, way out into the lake.

      So, it appears the bird moves into the bay from late morning until mid-afternoon. Visitors should probably plan accordingly, with the best chances being 10:30-2:30.