Ft. Peck birds

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 85 , Feb 12, 2013
      On Sunday, Helen Carlson and Peter Cummins came to Ft. Peck to get a lifer for Peter. We were able to get looks at two, possibly three, Snowy Owls. The first sighting was not too satisfying as we flushed one from the roadside and it flew over and behind us. The second was a distant but good scope view of one sitting at the very top of an old cottonwood. Third look was the best when we spotted one sitting on a power pole along the highway and had great looks from about 50 or 60 feet. Peter also got his first Bohemian Waxwing in North America while we were driving. Other birds seen were Sharp-tailed Grouse, Common Redpolls, a Merlin, 20 to 30 Bald Eagles, and 4 Ravens.

      In the yard we watched a Sharp-shinned Hawk devour a House Finch about 20 feet from the window. The Sharp-shin has been a constant visitor to the yard for several weeks now, but this was the first kill it has made that we’ve witnessed.

      Other sightings around Ft. Peck in the past several weeks have been at least two Hooded Mergansers, and a gang of 6 Common Ravens hanging out with the eagles across the river. This number of Common Ravens here is unprecedented in my 47 years here. We have only been seeing 1 or 2 for the past 3 or 4 years.

      We’ve had a large flock of Common Redpolls at the feeders for weeks now. The supply of niger seed is going fast.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck
    • Sneed Collard
      Message 85 of 85 , May 10, 2016

        Awesome!

        We saw one on the coast of Texas about three weeks ago. I think he was resting up to fly to Fort Peck!

        Sneed Collard
        Missoula

        On May 10, 2016, at 9:18 AM, "Charles Carlson chuckcmt@... [MOB-Montana]" <MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Mobsters
        Two male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks arrived in the yard this morning.
        Chuck Carlson
        Ft.Peck