Snowy Owl in the Bighole - finally!

  • eveinmontana
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2013
      Hello All,

      We've used skiing as the excuse to drive over towards Chief Joseph pass and through the Bighole at least 4 times, since a snowy owl was reported there a few weeks ago. Today we finally saw one south of Wisdom, on the line of poles west of the entrance to the Huntley Ranch. It seemed quite shy, the presence of our small car was enough the make it fly further from the road, and a hauler with hay was enough to make it fly farther yet. At least we were both able to get a good look through binoculars while it was within 200 yards or so. A beautiful, very pale bird, with only light barring on the back, a mature adult. Therefore, we do not think it was a same bird reported/photographed by Peggy Osmun a few weeks ago.

      Eve Wills
      Kurt Westenbarger
      Dillon, MT