Sacagawea Park footbridge birds

  • Mike Lesnik
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
      31 January 2013 1200-1300
      Sacajawea Park Footbridge
      From vehicle parked in one spot.

      1. American Crow
      2. Black-billed Magpie
      3. Black-capped Chickadee
      4. Blue Jay Three appearances of a single.
      5. Canada Goose
      6. Common Grackle At least four.
      7. Common Redpoll Four or five small groups off Meigs Rd.
      8. Downy Woodpecker Single male. All my feeder observations have
      been of a single female.
      9. Eurasian Collared-dove
      10. European Starling
      11. House Finch
      12. House Sparrow
      13. Mallard
      14. Northern Flicker
      15. Oregon (Montana) Junco
      16. Pink-sided Junco
      17. Rock Pigeon
      18. Sharp-shinned Hawk
      19. Slate-colored Junco
      20. Song Sparrow Two
      21. Townsend's Solitaire
      22. Wood Duck Must be forty or fifty males!

      Feeders and a quick trip out past the Gun Club brought the day total to 31. A single Gray-crowned Rosy Finch was seen out there acting like a Song Sparrow in a bramble thicket in a gully.

      Mike Lesnik
      Livingston
    • Scott Dean
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
        Mike,
        I'm from Clyde Park and am new to the birding world.  I jumped in feet first and is quickly becoming an obsession!  I've taken particular notice of your postings being in Park County.  I followed your posting from yesterday and set up camp in the same spot and time today hoping to see a few of these that are not yet on my Year list. Saw a good portion of the list below including the Blue Jay, Grackles (2) and the Sharp-shinned. Didn't see the Juncos.  Thanks for the posting!
        Scott Dean
        Clyde Park

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2013
          --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Scott Dean wrote:

          > Scott Dean
          > Clyde Park
          > ________________________________

          You are welcome, Scott. Glad that you found my favorite place in Park County to just sit and watch for movement.

          Did you take some of them home with you? At 1445 yesterday all I saw were the waterfowl and two Blue Jays. Had just come from my second sighting of the day of a Steller's Jay perched high in a tall conifer across US 89 and a couple hundred meters south of the Free River Fishing Access Site.

          Will be looking for your posts from the north end of the county.

          Mike Lesnik
          Livingston
        • Mike Lesnik
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 16, 2013
            MOB,

            15 species during the 1035-1145 time period today topped of by a single Blue Jay (last bird observed) and a Sharp-shinned Hawk flyby. Wood Duck numbers seem to be down a bit, with only ten males counted on a slow drive by.

            Mike Lesnik
            Livingston
          • Mike Lesnik
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25, 2013
              Debbie & All,

              This area was very quite during my forty five minute (1050-1135) visit yesterday. A couple of chickadees and redpolls. Did have a Rough-legged Hawk (new park bird)chased by a couple of crows flyover to the northwest.

              First Blue Jay showed at 1128 and the second at 1135; at which time I headed south of town to the Livingston Ditch headworks for my weekly American Dipper fix.

              Mike Lesnik
              Livingston