Yet another lump candidate - Rosy-finches

  • Radd Icenoggle
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2013
      I have run across this abstract that states that the genetic sequence of the 3 North American Rosy-finches indicates that they may not be truly separate species...a new era of lumping approaches? The definitive final line of the abstract is "Our data are consistent with a single
      species in North America, not three."

      ABSTRACT: "DNA sequence data often appear to contradict low-level avian
      taxonomy, which is usually based on patterns of external phenotypic
      similarity. We examined such an apparent contradiction in the Nearctic
      rosy-finches. On the basis of several phenotypic characters the finches were
      divided into three species congeneric with three Asian species. When
      Nearctic taxa were analyzed in a principal components analysis, 66.9% of
      phenotypic variation was explained by differences between the Bering Sea and
      continental populations, sexual dimorphism and a latitudinal cline. Our
      phylogenetic analysis of mitochondrial ND2 sequences revealed four clades
      among six species of rosy-finches. Three clades corresponded to three Asian
      species. The fourth clade included all three Nearctic species. Their
      haplotypes were not reciprocally monophyletic and the combined genetic
      variability of all Nearctic taxa was lower than in two of their Asian
      congeners. A Z-specific intron (ACO1I9) and an autosomal coding locus (MC1R)
      provided little additional phylogenetic information, most likely because of
      the longer coalescence times relative to ND2. Phylogeographic analyses of
      ND2 data revealed significant gene flow among neighboring localities
      regardless of their taxonomic assignment. Our analyses showed that DNA and
      phenotypic data are not in conflict, but rather complement each other, and
      together help clarify species limits. Our data are consistent with a single
      species in North America, not three."

      Citation: Sergei V. Drovetskia, Robert M. Zinkb, Nicolle A. Modec. 2009.
      Patchy distributions belie morphological and genetic homogeneity in
      rosy-finches. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 50 (3): 437-445.