Great Falls Trip

  • Sharon Hansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2013

      Took a ride to Great Falls today. Birds seen below.

      Northern Shrike (2)

      Long-tailed Duck

      American White Pelican

      American Coot

      Common Goldeneye

      Hooded Merganser

      Common Merganser

      Canada Goose

      Bufflehead

      Western Grebe

      Bald Eagle (adult & Immature)

      Rough-legged Hawk

      Harlan’s Red-tailed Hawk

      Prairie Falcon

      Sharp-shinned Hawk

      Mallard

      Belted Kingfisher (H)

      House Finch

      Northern Flicker

      Black-capped Chickadee

      Black-billed Magpie

      American Crow

      Common Raven

      Eurasian Collard Dove

      Rock Pigeon

      European Starling

      Sharon Dewart-Hansen

      Helena, MT

      cid:image003.jpg@01CDE207.29A65EF0

    • Sharon Hansen
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013

        Went up to Great falls with Nate Kohler today. Had some great, and surprising sightings.

        Great Falls SP we found White-winged Crossbills, Great Horned Owl, Brown Creeper, Black-capped Chickadees, and the injured American White Pelican.

        On the River downstream from GS we found 2 Long-tailed Ducks (male & female), one White-winged Scoter, Lesser Scaup and one possible Greater, and the usual Common Goldeneye, Buffleheads, Hooded Mergansers, American Coots, etc.

        Benton Lake we found the Snowy Owl and a Northern Shrike.

        And on the way home we drove Milligan Rd between Ulm and Cascade, and found a Gyrfalcon sitting on a fence post right next to the road. Too bad the clouds had moved in so lighting was really bad for a good photo.

        If I missed anything, feel free to add, Nate.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2013

          Oops, almost forgot the flock of Lapland Longspurs we found on Wilson Rd along the southern boundary of Benton Lake NWR.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2013
            I was at Giant Springs the day after your visit. I did not see the Long-tailed and probably glossed over the Scoter as there were 200 American Coots scattered everywhere! I believe I saw a male Greater Scaup.

            Regarding the Pelican, I saw it in December and presumed it was injured. When reviewing my photos, it was obvious something is wrong with the wing. I did see it on Sundyay across the river with the Canada Geese.

            Saw a Northern Shrike a few miles north of WSS. Presumably the same Shrike I've seen in the same location on several drives to GF this winter. Always perched on the power line.