RE: [MOB-Montana] Re: Short-eared Owls at Blasdel

  • paul rossi
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2013
      Today at 5 PM, I saw four Short-eared Owls at Blasdel WPA at the spot Dan mentioned.  One sat perched on a low bush, while three others flew around.  I enjoyed watching how their snappy wingbeats differ from hawks.  On the way up to the Flathead from Missoula, I also saw a Prairie Falcon on Logan Road (near Charlo).

      Paul Rossi
      Missoula/Columbia Falls

      To: MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com
      From: danielcasey55@...
      Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:34:15 +0000
      Subject: [MOB-Montana] Re: Short-eared Owls at Blasdel

      Thomas:

      The Blasdel WPA is along North Somers Road. Take highway 93 north past the turn to Somers (at mp 103), over the hill to the intersection with highway 82 (traffic light).  Turn right, as if going to Bigfork.  Go just over a mile east and North Somers Road will be the first road to the left (north).  North Somers Road forms the west and north boundary of the WPA, which begins about a mile north of highway 82.  There is parking near the historic barn, and also at the northeast corner, just before an old grange hall that is now a residence. The owls have been easily seen from the E-W section of N. Somers Road, in the northern part of the WPA., but are certainly also throughout the grassland and rose/snowberry patches of the area, which is open to the public. Good Luck!