Re: Short-eared Owls at Blasdel

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
      Thanks Dan!

      Thomas, Missoula

      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Casey" wrote:

      > Thomas:
      > The Blasdel WPA is along North Somers Road. Take highway 93 north past
      > the turn to Somers (at mp 103), over the hill to the intersection with
      > highway 82 (traffic light). Turn right, as if going to Bigfork. Go
      > just over a mile east and North Somers Road will be the first road to
      > the left (north). North Somers Road forms the west and north boundary
      > of the WPA, which begins about a mile north of highway 82. There is
      > parking near the historic barn, and also at the northeast corner, just
      > before an old grange hall that is now a residence. The owls have been
      > easily seen from the E-W section of N. Somers Road, in the northern part
      > of the WPA., but are certainly also throughout the grassland and
      > rose/snowberry patches of the area, which is open to the public. Good
      > Luck!
      > Dan CaseySomers
      > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" wrote:
      > >
      > > MOBsters,
      > >
      > > I'm not seeing Blasdel WPA on Google Maps, could someone give me
      > directions? I'm coming from Missoula to try to observe the Short-eared
      > Owls on Friday sometime in the afternoon.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Thomas, Missoula
      > >
      > > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wassink" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The Short-eared Owls are still out in force at Blasdel WPA. There
      > were at least 7 of them cruising around about 4:00 PM yesterday. Friday
      > night I had a very cooperative bird put on quite a performance for me -
      > a few photos in my Jan Wassink folder

    • paul rossi
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2013
        Today at 5 PM, I saw four Short-eared Owls at Blasdel WPA at the spot Dan mentioned.  One sat perched on a low bush, while three others flew around.  I enjoyed watching how their snappy wingbeats differ from hawks.  On the way up to the Flathead from Missoula, I also saw a Prairie Falcon on Logan Road (near Charlo).

        Paul Rossi
        Missoula/Columbia Falls

        To: MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com
        From: danielcasey55@...