Short-eared Owls at Blasdel

  • Jan Wassink
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2013
      The Short-eared Owls are still out in force at Blasdel WPA. There were at least 7 of them cruising around about 4:00 PM yesterday. Friday night I had a very cooperative bird put on quite a performance for me - a few photos in my Jan Wassink folder
    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
        MOBsters,

        I'm not seeing Blasdel WPA on Google Maps, could someone give me directions? I'm coming from Missoula to try to observe the Short-eared Owls on Friday sometime in the afternoon.

        Thanks,
        Thomas, Missoula

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
          Thomas:

          The Blasdel WPA is along North Somers Road. Take highway 93 north past the turn to Somers (at mp 103), over the hill to the intersection with highway 82 (traffic light).  Turn right, as if going to Bigfork.  Go just over a mile east and North Somers Road will be the first road to the left (north).  North Somers Road forms the west and north boundary of the WPA, which begins about a mile north of highway 82.  There is parking near the historic barn, and also at the northeast corner, just before an old grange hall that is now a residence. The owls have been easily seen from the E-W section of N. Somers Road, in the northern part of the WPA., but are certainly also throughout the grassland and rose/snowberry patches of the area, which is open to the public. Good Luck!

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
            Thanks Dan!

            Thomas, Missoula

            --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Casey" wrote:

            > Thomas:
            > The Blasdel WPA is along North Somers Road. Take highway 93 north past
            > the turn to Somers (at mp 103), over the hill to the intersection with
            > highway 82 (traffic light). Turn right, as if going to Bigfork. Go
            > just over a mile east and North Somers Road will be the first road to
            > the left (north). North Somers Road forms the west and north boundary
            > of the WPA, which begins about a mile north of highway 82. There is
            > parking near the historic barn, and also at the northeast corner, just
            > before an old grange hall that is now a residence. The owls have been
            > easily seen from the E-W section of N. Somers Road, in the northern part
            > of the WPA., but are certainly also throughout the grassland and
            > rose/snowberry patches of the area, which is open to the public. Good
            > Luck!
            > Dan CaseySomers
            > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" wrote:
            > >
            > > MOBsters,
            > >
            > > I'm not seeing Blasdel WPA on Google Maps, could someone give me
            > directions? I'm coming from Missoula to try to observe the Short-eared
            > Owls on Friday sometime in the afternoon.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Thomas, Missoula
            > >
            > > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wassink" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > The Short-eared Owls are still out in force at Blasdel WPA. There
            > were at least 7 of them cruising around about 4:00 PM yesterday. Friday
            > night I had a very cooperative bird put on quite a performance for me -
            > a few photos in my Jan Wassink folder

          • paul rossi
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 18, 2013
              Today at 5 PM, I saw four Short-eared Owls at Blasdel WPA at the spot Dan mentioned.  One sat perched on a low bush, while three others flew around.  I enjoyed watching how their snappy wingbeats differ from hawks.  On the way up to the Flathead from Missoula, I also saw a Prairie Falcon on Logan Road (near Charlo).

              Paul Rossi
              Missoula/Columbia Falls

              To: MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com
              From: danielcasey55@...