Re: Mallard Feeding Behavior

  • Beth Hill
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2013
      There could be bugs on the ice.  Mallards are great at scooping up bugs off the water surface. You can hear them slurping when there is a hatch (if it isn't windy).  I've heard them slurping where there is a concentration of bugs in an eddy.
      I've also watched Mallards diving  - like Goldeneyes - right next to Goldeneyes (Barrow's and Common) this winter.  I've also seen them dive and swim under water at other times of the year.  It's a little weird because they have a hard time going under and staying under.  It's been in shallow water and not shallow.
      Beth Hill
      Great Falls